Friday, 17 April 2009

Dissertations are Done!

So, I just finished the first draft of my dissertations! Yay! 14500 words down...many to go. I feel so relieved that they're done and the bottle of wine I've stashed in the fridge is calling my name, though I suppose that will have to wait until a bit later.

I think I'm going to leave my work until after the weekend and then go back and start editing. God. I hate editing. I get so paranoid everything's rubbish I end up cutting out half the story until I'm left with like 1000 words, so not enough for my dissertation. Oh well. I'm pretty pleased with how they've turned out so far. Well, my Young People project at least. Non Fiction can go to hell for now but I'll sure it'll get better eventually.

Guess I should give you a quick background on the pieces I'm working on. Well, my Young People dissertation is a chapter from my YA novel, which is called 'Reckless'. It's the story of two friends, Nicole and Leilani, who are travelling the world before they head off to university. I do like it, I really do, but I find myself changing the setting so often I've got to decide once and for all which route they're taking. It's driving me crazy. I finally decided to cut out Asia and set that part in Brazil instead, which means half of my research needs to be chucked away. Frustrating. I think it's a lot better now, though.

Anyway, enough about that. My other dissertation is a Non Fiction project and I'm writing the story of my great-great (x7) grandfather, who had to run away and start a new life when he was wanted for treason. To cut a long story short, he had to abandon his castle in Scotland and hide out in a village near Sunderland (bad luck). He died without reclaiming the castle but his grandson decided to try for himself.

It's a pretty interesting story but I'm getting so lost in dates and random family members that it's become more like an essay than a story. I've got loads of little details I want to go through and put in and I'm sure it's going to end up fine. It always does.

So that leaves my Travel and Nature writing module. Not a dissertation but still just as important. It's a 3500 words piece and the standard 1500 word essay to accompany it. My piece is on the New Year I spent in Finland recently and I think it's my best writing of the three. Yay.

So yes, that's what I'm working on for uni. In other writing news, I've just sent off my next book review to the Bookbag, which is a review of Luisa Plaja's second teen novel, Extreme Kissing. Once it's been accepted I'll post a copy up here.

I also just got asked to submit some questions for an interview the Bookbag are doing with Julia Green, who just happens to be a lecturer on my course, exciting! My next three review book just came in the post so I'm hoping to get through them over the weekend. There's two books by Gemma Malley, called The Delcaration and The Resistance and then Coraline by Neil Gaiman, which I've been meaning to read for far too long. I'll let you know what I think!

Much love,

Carly x

1 comment:

  1. Nice post....great help..keep the good work going..
    -------------------------------
    Cheapest Essay

    ReplyDelete

Thank you kindly for the comment, you sweet thing.