Monday, 20 April 2009

Hey everyone,

So, I got back from London last night after spending the weekend there with my mum (a late 21st present). It was an awesome weekend! On Saturday we went to see a matinee of the Lion King at the Lyceum, I've been desperate to see it for ages and it was absolutely exquisite. I can't praise it enough.

Brown Lindiwe Mkhize played Rafiki and she was brilliant, her voice was absolutely incredible. The guy who played Scar (George Asprey) was really really great as well. The whole thing was even better than I thought it would be and, obviously, I cried through the entire opening and ending. I'm emotional, I'm not ashamed. So yes, everybody go and see it, I plan to again in the near future.

Saturday evening we headed to the Theatre Royal on Drury Lane to see Oliver. I've seen Oliver in the West End twice before but it was a different production so I was curious to see which impressed me more.

I watched 'I'd Do Anything' so I was excited to see Jodie perform as Nancy and I was so happy (this is an understatement) to see Oliver was being played by Gwion, the crazy little Welsh kid who (I'm very pleased to say) hasn't lost his accent at all, brilliant. If you haven't heard 'Where is Love?' sung in a strong Welsh accent then you honestly haven't lived.

Rowan Atkinson has had to take three weeks off for surgery (get well soon!) so we had Russ Abbot playing Fagin. He was absolutely outstanding and got the biggest cheer of the night. I also have to mention the TINY child who played one of Fagin's boys, absolute genius. Does anybody know who he is? I tried to look it up but couldn't really find anything. Anyway, he was awesome.

The whole show was stunning. The sets and costumes were absolutely phenomenal and it was definitely the best production of Oliver I've seen so far. I'd happily go and see it again.

Yesterday we only had half a day before we had to catch our train but we made the most of it by having afternoon tea at the Ritz. I've always wanted to do this so I was so excited and, honestly, I would really recommend it. Obviously the dining hall is beautiful and the waiters were scarily smart (all older men, not a female employee in sight). We started off with a pot of tea each, I had Assam, Mumsy had English. Obviously you don't just pour it and drink...there's all this straining and leaves everywhere but it was worth the effort as it was definitely the best tea I've tasted.

Next we moved onto sandwiches. No crusts, naturally, just finger sized slices on the best bread I've ever tasted. We had ham (so good, and I don' t even like ham), salmon (don't get me started), chicken (amaaazing), cucumber (as nice as plain cucumber can be), egg mayonnaise (try eating egg mayonnaise with style) and cheese with sundried tomatoes. All very very nice.

I can't even begin to describe how fantastic the scones were and the cakes were crazy - one of them consisted of three macaroons piled on top of each other with Turkish Delight spread in the middle, amazing.

Anyway, tea at the Ritz is something everybody should do at least once (once a year, I reckon) and definitely try the champagne, it's totally worth it.

So yes, London was lovely and I'm a bit sad I won't be going back for a while but at least I managed to cram a lot in!

I'm going to spend a bit of time editing my dissertations now but I've got some news on reviews and books etc so I'm going to try and write again later.

Take care,

Carly

x

5 comments:

  1. That sounds like a perfect weekend to me, I'm not surprised you had such a fab time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have so much knowledge about this issue, and so much passion. You also know how to make people rally behind it, obviously from the responses. Youve got a design here thats not too flashy, but makes a statement as big as what youre saying. Great job, indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoy reading the post, thanks for sharing I really like it, I already bookmarked it, thank you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was really something very special and interesting.
    -------------------------------------
    quality essay

    ReplyDelete

Thank you kindly for the comment, you sweet thing.