Wednesday, 19 May 2010

Review: The Oracle of Dating - Allison van Diepen

Review: The Oracle of Dating – Allison van Diepen

Published: May 1st 2010, Harlequin Teen

Acquired: Sent to me for review by Harlequin

Publisher’s summary: For five bucks, the Oracle of Dating will tell you:

- How to flirt
- If that cute guy you’re crushing on likes you, too
- Whether your new romance will last through lunch period
- And much money

What she won’t tell you? Who she is.

No one at Kayla’s school know she’s the famous Oracle of Dating – the anonymous queen of dating advice. She doesn’t even have a boyfriend. Two relationship disasters were enough to make Kayla focus on everyone else’s love life.

But then her own advice backfires on her own best friend. And Kayla starts to seriously obsess about Jared Stewart – the very cute, very mysterious new girl in school. Suddenly, the teen queen of advice needs her own oracle of dating – and she knows just where to find one...

What I liked: From the outset Allison van Diepen won me over with her cute, informal style of writing. I’m a big fan of books written in the first person and voice is so important, lucky then that Kayla’s voice is big, bold and hilarious – the perfect protagonist.

What I love about the Oracle of Dating is the same thing I love about E. Lockhart’s books; it felt like reading about an old friend, who could make me laugh one moment and cry the next. This is the kind of book I force my friends to read and will find myself flicking through time after time.
The story’s great too, I love that Kayla’s blog posts and IM conversations are interspersed throughout the novel and the pace doesn’t slow for a second, keeping you entertained from beginning to end.

What I didn’t like: There are a lot of characters in this book and it’s something I often bring up in this section of my reviews. It’s difficult to remember who everybody is when five or six people with no real distinguishing features are introduced in one paragraph and that does happen once or twice during the novel.

While I’m talking about characters I should mention that I was not a fan of Kayla’s sappy sister at all – Kayla has such a great personality that I was expecting the same of her sister. Unfortunately not. If you’ve read this book you’ll (hopefully) know what I mean!

First line: “You might think that September is a weird time to be making New Year’s resolutions. Well, Mom never accused me of doing anything on time, especially tidying my room, loading the dishwasher or Swiffering the kitchen.” (Bonus points for use of the word Swiffer).

Final thoughts: The Oracle of Dating is a brilliant summer read that is guaranteed to make you smile – I’m already counting down the days until the next instalment!

Read if you liked...: The Boyfriend List/The Boy Book by E. Lockhart
Rating:
Plot: 4/5
Writing: 3.5/5
Cover: 3/5
Characters: 4.5/5
Total: 15/20

1 comment:

  1. I love E Lockhart's books so if this is like them, I should defintiely read this!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you kindly for the comment, you sweet thing.