Friday, 18 June 2010

Review: Della says: OMG - Keris Stainton

Acquired: Purchased myself


Published: May 6th 2010, Orchard


Summary (from Goodreads): Della’s over the moon when she kisses her long-standing crush at a party – but then she discovers her diary has disappeared...

When scans of embarrassing pages are sent to her mobile and appear on Facebook, Della’s distraught – how can she enjoy her first proper romance when someone, somewhere, knows all her deepest, darkest secrets?’


What I liked: Oh Della, Della, Della. Within the first twenty pages of this novel I knew I was onto a winner. I’d heard such brilliant things about Della says: OMG! that I was pretty certain I’d enjoy the novel but I was also slightly nervous I’d be disappointed. Della’s infectious charm, wonderful voice and the hilarious cast of supporting characters make Della says: OMG! one of the best debut novels I’ve ever read.


I instantly felt as though Della and I had been friends forever and we were having a catch up on the phone after drifting apart over the years (college, uni, you know how it is). Stainton’s writing style is so chatty and really includes the reader in the experience. When Della read the first Facebook scan of her diary I really felt her shame and embarrassment.


And I must say – the diary extracts are brilliant. Of course, I did feel bad that her innermost secrets were being broadcast through all manner of social media (Twitter next?) but, honestly, after I was done feeling shame and embarrassment I did have to giggle. So embarrassing!


What I didn’t like: I quite liked the mystery as to who had stolen Della’s diary but I became so preoccupied with trying to guess who it was that I ended up taking a strong dislike to certain (innocent) characters because I was so sure they were all betraying Della. In a way, that proves the strength of Stainton’s writing, as I genuinely found myself thinking everything they said was a lie to try and con Della into believing them so that’s pretty powerful writing!


First line: “Is that what you’re wearing?” Maddy asks me.


Final thoughts: I’m really, really hoping for a sequel – ‘(A university-bound) Della says: WTF?’ Please do it Keris! OR 'Della says: ROFLCOPTER!' I could go on. I won't, though. Sorry - it's early.


Read if you liked...: Confessions of Georgia Nicholson (et al) – Louise Rennison


Rating:

Plot: 4.5/5

Writing: 4/5

Characters: 4/5

Cover: 5/5

Total: 17.5/20

3 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed this too. And the diary extracts really made me giggle as well, but more in shock than anything else! Great review, Carly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, I found you one the hop. I am doing a beach bag giveaway package on my book blog site too. I hope you hop by and check it out and enter.
    Kelly Bookend Diaries
    http://bookenddiaries.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay, I love seeing good reviews of this one! I had so much fun reading it as well.. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you kindly for the comment, you sweet thing.