Tuesday, 8 June 2010

Review: Speak - Laurie Halse Anderson


Acquired: Bought from Waterstones, Picadilly


Published: 2001, Hodder Children’s Books


Summary: Melinda Sordino busted an end-of-summer party by calling the cops. Now her old friends won't talk to her, and people she doesn't even know hate her from a distance. The safest place to be is alone, inside her own head.


But even that's not safe. Because there's something she's trying not to think about, something about the night of the party that, if she let it in, would blow her carefully constructed disguise to smithereens. And then she would have to speak the truth.


What I liked: Well, I can’t believe I’ve only just read this one! It’s been on my list of books to read for years and I’ve finally picked up a copy. I’d heard so many wonderful things about it that I knew I had to check it out and I’m so glad I did.


I knew I’d enjoy Speak before I started reading it but the things I’d been told hadn’t quite prepared for the fantastic writing, heartbreaking storyline and memorable characters. I won’t be forgetting Melinda or the excellent portrayed Mr Freeman for a long time.


Speak is the story of timid Melinda Sordino, who had been outcast at high school for calling the police at an out of control summer party. Back then Melinda had friends, she was even quite popular but after the party nobody wants to have anything to do with her. More than that, though, they go out of their way to terrorise and isolate her. Speak is a powerful story that underlines just how difficult a time high school can be when you’re not part of the in crowd.


One of the things I enjoyed most about Speak is that Melinda never once feels sorry for herself, or asks for your sympathy. She’s so resigned to the whole situation that she just finds ways to pass the time and try to forget the terrible situation she’s in. She has nobody to speak to, not even her parents and all she has to fall back on is an art project she pours her emotion into.


The slow reveal of what really happened to Melinda at the party is brilliant and really draws you into the story. Anderson reveals just enough to keep you enticed but doesn’t give the full details away until one, unexpected chapter towards the end of the book. I was so used to what happened to Melinda being a mystery that I was a little shocked when Anderson went ahead and announced it so bluntly. However, looking back on it I think that was a clever move as it had far more dramatic impact that way.


Everybody praises Speak for its excellent characterisation, honest plot and wonderful denouement and, happily, I have now joined the ranks of those who sing its praises. Hurrah.


What I didn’t like: I try to stay far away from spoilers when I know a book is on my TBR list but, with this one, I’m sorry to say the ending was revealed to me before I started reading. This obviously isn’t an issue I had with the book but it was frustrating that I couldn’t read Speak with quite the same excitement as a reader who had no idea of the brilliant ending.


First line: “It is my first morning of high school. I have seven new notebooks, a skirt I hate and a stomach ache.”


Final thoughts: As somebody a little late into the Speak fan club, I’m now a fully fledged member and would recommend it to anybody who enjoys a observing the highs and lows of high school.


Read if you liked: Some Girls Are by Courtney Summers

11 comments:

  1. Amazing review Carly !
    I absolutely love this book, it is so beautiful !
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes, I read this one like 10 years ago and LOVED it! Have you read Wintergirls by this author too? It completely blew me away!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds like a amazing book! I have heard of it, but never orderd a copy of it. I think I might this year order a copy. Wonderful review.

    I heard that Waterstones, Picadilly is one of the largest bookshops in London. Is that true? I would love to see that. Sorry, just had to ask.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great reivew! I really need to jump on the Speak loving bandwagon. Well, I suppose I have to read it first! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just recently read this one too (within the last year). I'm so glad it holds up for those adults of us who are late to the party! Nice review.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A beautiful book. One of the first YA books I read. LHA is golden.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, this is an amazing book. I think it's over 10 years since I read it and it has really stayed with me. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sounds wonderful. I have no idea why I've put off reading it for so long. :)

    http://laughingstars.net

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a truly amazing book, and one that I will definitely read again and again.

    ReplyDelete
  10. this has always been one of my favourite YA books. It is just brilliant. I love LHA's other books, too. Catalyst is probably my favourite, actually, and I book I'd like parents to read.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I liked this book, Speak, it's really interesting. To read how a girl gets raped and doesn't tell anyone because she thinks that people would'nt like her any more. I like how the author shows the life after the party before she actually explains what happened. Although the story was kind of slow, I would read it again, because it is just that amazing. It made me mad at times because of what Melinda said what happened to her and the way that her so-called friends did to her.I liked at the end of the book when the whole girls hockey team jumped the guy who raped Melinda in the closet, that was cool. I would recommend this book to anybody who is interested in why people keep secrets like getting raped and things of that nature.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you kindly for the comment, you sweet thing.