Friday, 9 July 2010

Review: Threads - Sophia Bennett

Acquired: Sent for review by Chicklish (original post can be found here)


Published: September 7th 2009, Chicken House Ltd


Pages: 272 pages, paperback


Summary (from Goodreads): Fashion fairy tales really can happen. Nonie, Edie and Jenny are best friends with very individual tastes. Nonie's a real trend setter and her passion is fashion. Humanitarian Edie is on a mission to save the world. And budding actress Jenny has just landed a small part in a Hollywood blockbuster.


But when these three friends meet a young African refugee called Crow, sketching a dress at the Victoria and Albert Museum, they discover a common passion and somehow find a way to make all of their dreams come true.


My review: If you only have time to read one novel this week, make it Threads. It’s been so long since I read a debut novel that made me smile (and cry) as much as this one. Threads won The Times Children’s Writing Competition last year and I’m so glad it did, it really deserves it.


Threads is the story of three best friends, teenagers Nonie, Edie and Jenny who all live in London. By chance they meet Crow, a young African refugee who doesn’t like to talk but lives for fashion. Eventually, after discovering Crow’s talent for designing, the girls take her in and show her that there’s nothing more important than following your dreams.


I can’t tell you enough about the story to do it justice; even the blurb on the back of the book doesn’t do the story justice so all I can say is that I literally don’t have a bad word to say about this book. The story is flawless, the characters are absolutely fantastic and Sophia Bennett is a mean, mean lady for making me cry so much at that part (if you’ve read this book then I’m sure you’ll know exactly which part I’m talking about).


The novel is written from protagonist Nonie’s point of view and she’s an excellent narrator. Sharp, full of wit and extremely sarcastic, she tells us all we need to know about the other characters. Philanthropist Edie is like a whirlwind of good deeds and I think everybody had a friend just like her when they were at school. You know the kind, who rushes from netball practice to choir to an Amnesty International meeting and still has time to be a prefect, mentor and manage to maintain some kind of social life.


Then there’s Jenny, who has a part in a Hollywood movie but is an extremely reluctant star. The descriptions of her on the red carpet actually made me laugh out loud and her mysterious relationship with heartthrob, Joe Yule, (think Zac Efron and you won’t be far wrong) is excellent.


So I’ve mentioned the story and characters but, with this book, it’s the little details that make it so great. There are enough pop culture references in Threads to keep any teenage girl happy, with mentions of Vivienne Westwood, Topshop and Hollywood’s Golden Couple, who I’m almost certain are supposed to be Brad and Angelina.


If I haven’t sold it to you already then I don’t know what more I can say. Just trust me on this one and get your hands on a copy of Threads. I can wholeheartedly promise that you won’t be disappointed.


Rating:

Plot: 4/5

Writing: 4/5

Characters: 4/5

Cover: 5/5

Total: 17/20 (A)

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for visiting my blog!
    I loved Threads too. I recently finished the sequel, Beads, Boys and Bangles (review coming up shortly if you're interested) and I'd really recommend it as you enjoyed Threads so much :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks adorable! I'll add it to the Goodreads TBR. Returning the blog hop visit--I already follow. :-)

    -Tiger

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Carly, thanks so much for visiting my blog! Loved your review of Threads so much I am going to search it out the next time I am at the library.

    Have a great weekend, I look forward to my next visit, Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, this looks like a sweet read. :) Added to my TBR. Thanks for visiting my blog!

    I've just bought "Twenty Boy Summer" from The Book Depo. I'm really excited and I'm hoping you're enjoying reading it! I'd like to see what you think of it. I'm following you back!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you kindly for the comment, you sweet thing.