Saturday, 3 July 2010

Soundtrack Saturday - 1

Soundtrack Saturdays is hosted by Alita at Alita Reads. The idea is to share a song that you think fits with the book you're currently reading, and then tell why.

The book I'm reading right now is:


Crank - Ellen Hopkins

Summary (from Goodreads): Kristina Georgia Snow is the perfect daughter: gifted high school junior, quiet, never any trouble. But on a trip to visit her absentee father, Kristina disappears and Bree takes her place. Bree is the exact opposite of Kristina -- she's fearless. Through a boy, Bree meets the monster: crank. And what begins as a wild, ecstatic ride turns into a struggle through hell for her mind, her soul -- her life.

Song: Protect Me From What I Want - Placebo



Lyrics: It's the disease of the age
It's the disease that we crave
Alone at the end of the rave
We catch the last bus home

Corporate America wakes
Coffee republic and cakes
We open the latch on the gate
Of the hole that we call our home

Protect me from what I want...
Protect me protect me

Maybe we're victims of fate
Remember when we'd celebrate
We'd drink and get high until late
And now we're all alone

Wedding bells ain't gonna chime
With both of us guilty of crime
And both of us sentenced to time
And now we're all alone

Protect me from what I want...
Protect me protect me
Protect me from what I want...
Protect me protect me

Why?: Well, for me this song is a perfect fit for Crank, the story of a girl on a downward spiral after being introduced to drugs. Protect Me From What I Want is all about losing your future to drugs and feeling helpless, like you can't escape. You want to ask for help but you can't, however much you want to stop you can't.

8 comments:

  1. This is such a good idea! Based on the summary you gave Crank, I definitely think that song fits. Placebo is amazing. :)

    Thanks for stopping by my blog! I'm a new follower. I hope you have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is the first time I've heard of this meme. I think I'm definitely going to take part in this one as of next week. And Crank looks like an awesome book!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haven't read this book, but the song looks like it fits beautifully. And I love Placebo! Great picks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I love this idea! Songs are constantly reminding me of books I'm reading, and whenever I hear that song again it is forever associated with that story =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a good idea - it's certainly caused some discussion in our house.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great idea for a meme. As much as I like music, this would be hard for me. Most of the time I don't really listen to the lyrics. But it would be a fun challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've always been curious about the Crank series. The covers leap right off of the shelf at me, but I've only known one person who actually read them and she couldn't stand them. Soooo, I'll be very interested to read your review!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you kindly for the comment, you sweet thing.