Monday, 30 August 2010

Review: Claire de Lune - Christine Johnson

Published: August 5th 2010, Simon and Schuster

Pages: 356 pages, paperback

Acquired: Sent for review by Simon and Schuster

Summary (from Goodreads): Torn between two destinies? Claire is having the perfect sixteenth birthday. Her pool party is a big success, and gorgeous Matthew keeps chatting and flirting with her as if she's the only girl there. But that night, she discovers something that takes away all sense of normalcy: she's a werewolf. As Claire is initiated into the pack of female werewolves, she must deal not only with her changing identity, but also with a rogue werewolf who is putting everyone she knows in danger. Claire's new life threatens her blossoming romance with Matthew, whose father is leading the werewolf hunt. Now burdened with a dark secret and pushing the boundaries of forbidden love, Claire is struggling to feel comfortable in either skin. With her lupine loyalty at odds with her human heart, she will make a choice that will change her forever?

My review: Claire de Lune is a modern paranormal romance with a difference – while we’re so used to a girl meeting a vampire/werewolf/sandman/zombie guy, in Claire de Lune it’s actually our heroine, Claire, who’s the werewolf and her crush, Matt, who’s the regular teenager. It was nice to read a paranormal story that’s slightly different to the rest and I do think this made Claire de Lune feel a little fresher than some of the other paranormal romances out there.

As Claire and Matt’s relationship becomes more intense, so does Claire’s bond with the pack of werewolves she has recently become inducted into. Matt’s father is a scientist in charge of the hunt for the town’s werewolves and, as more humans wind up dead, the search is on and Claire and the other wolves are in increasing danger.

By the end of the novel I did like Claire, though I wasn’t sure of her at the beginning. She seemed a little self pitying after first finding out she was a werewolf, understandable I suppose but I don’t want to read over and over again that she can’t be bothered to listen to her friend’s problems because hers are bigger. Get over it, seriously. However, she does redeem herself as the novel progresses and finds a little bit of sass that makes her much more likeable.

My main issue with the book, however, is Matt. He’s introduced to us as one of those ‘too perfect to be true’ guys, one of those guys who’s so idealistic he has to have a flaw. Matt’s flaw, I realised, is that he’s actually a little bit dull. Very nice, very pretty but a tad boring, which is a shame as I’d have liked to find out more about how he feels about dating a werewolf, especially as his father considers them the enemy. I think it could have been a nice touch to have a couple of chapters written from Matt’s point of view. Oh well. Perhaps in the sequel, which is coming in 2011.

First line: ‘She killed him in the darkest part of the night, before the dew had settled on the grass.’

Read if you liked...: Blood Feud – Alyxandra Harvey

Rating:
Plot: 4/5
Writing: 3/5
Characters: 3/5
Cover: 5/5 Total: 15/20 (B)

10 comments:

  1. I love the book and the review! I dont read it yet but the idea of the heroine herself as a werewolf really attract my attention!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always find the "too perfect to be true" guys a bit dull too. But the premise still interests me - I'll definitely have to read this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The premise does sound interesting. It sounds a bit like Blood and Chocolate, only the heroine in this story doesn't seem to enjoy being a werewolf at first from what I can gather.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It sounds good... I haven't read it yet
    I'll find a time to do it next month I hope ;D

    Kisses!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome review. Reminds me of Blood and Chocolate :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. PS This cover is WAY cooler than the US cover.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A dull love interest? What a shame!

    ReplyDelete
  8. just the cover of this book looks cool, and i love the idea of the main female character being a werewolf rather than it being the guy!

    i've come across a few books lately where the love interested is a bit dull... as if the relationship is more important that the character...lets hope it gets better in the sequel!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The cover it's very pretty and I like the twist, I'm still not crazy about paranormals though so for me it would be rare to venture to red this one.

    And a dull love interest is kind of meh!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I so, so, so want to read this book. Sounds like a wondefully refreshing read - especially considering that the female protagonist is the werewolf and not the male. Lovely review Carly!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you kindly for the comment, you sweet thing.