Friday, 27 August 2010

Review: I Am Number Four - Pittacus Lore

Published: August 3rd 2010, HarperCollins

Pages: 440 pages, hardback

Acquired: Sent for review by HarperCollins

Summary (from Goodreads): Nine of us came here. We look like you. We talk like you. We live among you. But we are not you. We can do things you dream of doing. We have powers you dream of having. We are stronger and faster than anything you have ever seen. We are the superheroes you worship in movies and comic books—but we are real.

Our plan was to grow, and train, and become strong, and become one, and fight them. But they found us and started hunting us first. Now all of us are running. Spending our lives in shadows, in places where no one would look, blending in. we have lived among you without you knowing.

But they know.

They caught Number One in Malaysia.
Number Two in England.
And Number Three in Kenya.
They killed them all.

I am Number Four.

I am next.

My review: I would definitely say that I Am Number Four is one of the most eagerly anticipated books of the year. There has been so much buzz surrounding this one, it recently won the ‘Amazon Best Books of the Month’ award for August and the movie adaptation already has a release date of 2011. Not bad for a book that was only released two weeks ago.

I Am Number Four is absolutely absorbing. It’s definitely not the sort of book I would ordinarily pick up but everything about this one drew me in – the title, the cover, the premise. Everything about this book screams modern classic in the making. It’s a big book, weighing in at over four hundred pages but I read it in a single sitting, barely able to put it down for even a moment.

The more I learned about Number Four (who has to change his name every time he and his guardian, Henri, skip town and move on to another destination) and his race, the Loriens, the more I was consumed by the story. It’s written in wonderfully simple prose that doesn’t cloud the complex storyline and each new character we’re introduced to is as brilliant as the last.

Bernie Kosar, the dog, is definitely my favourite character. He’s just brilliant – definitely a Resident Evil 4 style companion and I want to learn much more about him in the next installment of the story. I Am Number Four finishes in the perfect place. Enough loose ends are tied up that I wasn’t throwing the book across the room in frustration but I still had many questions that will keep me guessing until the next book comes out – which is soon, I hope.

I Am Number Four has a little bit of everything I need to keep me entertained throughout a book – we have plenty of action (the fight scenes are awesome), a bit of a love story (how great is Sarah, really?), humour all the way through (Henri’s ‘shit long wait’ made me laugh out loud) and a fantastic conclusion that is still imprinted on my mind, nearly a week after finishing the book.

I Am Number Four is such a diverse story as well. I imagine boys, girls, younger readers and adults will all love this one and I think it definitely has crossover appeal. It’s extremely visual as well so I’m sure the film adaptation will be brilliant.

I’m really excited this book and I can’t wait to hear what everybody else thought about it so if you’d read it already – do send me the link to your review. I hope you all enjoy/enjoyed it as much as I did.

First line: ‘The door starts shaking.’

Read if you liked...: The Knife of Never Letting Go – Patrick Ness

Rating:
Plot: 5/5
Writing: 4/5
Characters: 3/5
Cover: 5/5
Total: 17/20 (A)

14 comments:

  1. WOW! The synopsis drew me in immediately! Thanks for the review - this one's going on the TB list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is not one of those books that I'd necessarily pick up, but your review makes it sound as if I'll really actually be pleasantly surprised and enjoy this one. Will be on the look out for this at the bookstores! Great review Carly!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review! It's sounds really good and very suspenseful. I like this cover better than the one with the orange colour. ;) Going to look if I can find it. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think the synopsis for this book is so well executed. It definitely draws the reader in immediately. I'm glad you liked this one. :) I'm really eager to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I read it a few weeks ago (stil haven't reviewed it) and really enjoyed it. Interesting when you hear who the writer writing under the pseudonym Pittacus Lore really is I thought. I am lookig forward to seeing Alex Pettyfer, in the film, that's for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great review! I can't wait to read it :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful review! I'e been wanting to get this book since it came out! I can't wait to read it! And Alex Pettyfer in the movie is definitely a plus!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great review! I love the sounds of it. Just like a book I would pick up. =)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ooh. I'm even more excited to read this book now, thanks for the great review..

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey Carly, here is my review if you want to have a look: http://www.librarymice.com/2010/09/i-am-number-four.html

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am here thanks to the Blog Hop, this review it's simply great, I wouldn't ordinarily pick up this book either but you make it sound so intriguing

    ReplyDelete
  12. I hopped over from the blog hop. I saw this book on another site, but it wasn't reviewed. The title caught my eye and I was going to look it up later. What a great review. Don't have to look it up anymore! I definitely want to read this one. It's different from what I usually read, but I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for the next one to come out soon. If the author wrote a 400page book I imagine it was probably a lot longer in the beginning and it got cut down. He'll need a rest. Can you imagine writing a book that long???

    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  13. I had no idea what this book was about, that was one amazing review, it made me excited to read the book. I'm going to ad it to my To Buy list.

    :D Happy weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  14. While I liked I Am Number Four, I didn't love it. Glad you did. But like you Bernie Kosar was my favorite character and the book makes me think I'd love to watch the movie ... plenty of excitement and tension.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you kindly for the comment, you sweet thing.