Thursday, 9 September 2010

Review: Before I Fall - Lauren Oliver

Published: March 2nd 2010, HarperCollins

Pages: Paperback, 241 pages

Acquired: Sent for review by UK Book Tours

Summary (from Goodreads): What if you had only one day to live? What would you do? Who would you kiss? And how far would you go to save your own life?

Samantha Kingston has it all—looks, popularity, the perfect boyfriend. Friday, February 12th should be just another day in her charmed life. Instead, it’s her last. The catch: Samantha still wakes up the next morning. In fact, she re-lives the last day of her life seven times, until she realizes that by making even the slightest changes, she may hold more power than she had ever imagined.

My review: To be honest, I knew before I started reading Before I Fall that I would love it and I absolutely did. I haven’t read a bad review of this one so if you haven’t read it yet, do try and get hold of a copy because I promise you won’t be at all disappointed.

Sam is a fantastic protagonist and she’s completely realistic, which made it so easy to bond with her. She was a bitch and she’s honest about it which made me love her even more. She’s not perfect, she’s not one of these so sweet it hurts girls that I’m getting a bit sick of seeing in YA fiction. She has edge and that’s always a good thing. She’s interesting to read about.

Sam’s situation is a horrific one but this is the type of book I adore. Anything where a character goes back in time and makes a change that affects the future is always going to make me happy – think The Butterfly Effect. Any fans of the film should definitely check this one out – you’ll love it. The book also reminded me a little of If I Stay by Gayle Forman (such a beautiful story) in that both stories handle teenage death, tragedy and are both stunningly written.

The story is beautiful and touching, laugh out loud funny in places and absolutely heartbreaking in others. I shed more than a few tears (as per usual) and I’ll definitely be looking for more of Lauren Oliver’s work in the future because this one is a gem.

First line: ‘They say before you die your whole life flashes before your eyes, but that’s now how it happened for me.’

Read if you liked...: If I Stay – Gayle Forman

Rating:
Plot: 5/5
Writing: 4/5
Characters: 4/5
Cover: 4/5
Total: 17/20 (A)

11 comments:

  1. I started it but lost interest, but I think I must not be suited to the teen school romance stories. Most people love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved it too! I'm so excited-- I'll be receiving my own copy in the mail soon! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, this one is on my TBR pile but pretty far down, I don't know when I'll get to it. I'm kind of worried about reading it 'cause it sounds like part of it is going to be sad and I'm not really into sad books. But shall give it a try sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the review! I loved this one as well!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can't wait until my library tells me it is finally my turn. I have been on the waiting list for months. I have not read a bad review either.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm considering reading this, since I've heard nothing but good things about it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I recently read this one too. I liked it but wasn't crazy about it. :( I'n glad you enjoyed it so much.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad you also loved this book :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. I still haven't read this one, but it's on my must-read list! I haven't read bad review for it, too :) and I'm glad you loved it :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Before I Fall is a book that will stay with me for a long time. I suspect it'll become one of my annual rereads.

    simplisafe review

    ReplyDelete

Thank you kindly for the comment, you sweet thing.