Sunday, 19 September 2010

Review: Trash - Andy Mulligan

Hello everybody! Now, I've been talking about this book a lot over the last few months and with good reason because it's brilliant. Go and read it now. So from tomorrow until Friday (the 20th - 25th September) I'm hosting the blog tour for Trash so expect lots of exciting news and posts from Andy Mulligan and myself all about this wonderful book. I'll also be announcing the five winners of the giveaway on this week so keep an eye out for that - if you haven't entered yet then the link to the form is at the top of this page. Enjoy :)

Published: September 2nd 2010, David Fickling Books

Pages: 211 pages, paperback

Acquired: Sent for review by Random House

Summary (from Goodreads): Raphael is a dumpsite boy. He spends his days wading through mountains of steaming trash, sifting it, sorting it, breathing it, sleeping next to it. Then one unlucky-lucky day, Raphael's world turns upside down. A small leather bag falls into his hands.

It's a bag of clues. It's a bag of hope. It's a bag that will change everything.

Soon Raphael and his friends Gardo and Rat are running for their lives. Wanted by the police, it takes all their quick-thinking, fast-talking to stay ahead. As the net tightens, they uncover a dead man's mission to put right a terrible wrong. And now it's three street-boys against the world...

My review: When Trash first landed on my doorstep at the beginning of the summer I hadn’t heard a thing about it. I was instantly intrigued though. Wrapped in a brown paper bag filled with shredded paper and a lovely letter from David Fickling, it was a unique way of marketing the book which really grabbed my attention.

Trash is, quite simply, one of the best books of the year. The buzz about it is incredible and it really does live up to the hype. It’s a truly unique novel and I can guarantee you won’t have read anything like it before. It will stay with you for weeks after reading – I still haven’t forgotten one detail and I can’t help but keep rereading it. The story is so complete and perfectly executed; you can’t get to the end of this one without being moved.

Yes, yes I did weep numerous times during Trash, as per usual and I expect you will too. Mulligan has such a beautiful way with words and a great turn of phrase, everything flows so perfectly and it’s so hard to put Trash down half way through the story. As soon as the pace slows enough for you to catch your breath you’re rocketing forward again. Brilliant. Truly exciting stuff I can assure you.

The characterisation is awesome, to put it eloquently. The three dumpsite boys are lovely, absolutely endearing and there’s a whole host of excellent supporting characters who I really loved getting to know. Mulligan makes it so easy to indentify with each character and gives each one a completely unique personality.

The story being told from the point of view of so many different characters is something I really enjoyed. I love multiple viewpoints but I find it’s rare that they’re written well. Luckily we’re in good hands with Trash and each viewpoint is as wonderfully written and personal as the next. Olivia was my personal favourite; I think she added a lovely dimension to the story.

If you can, I’d advise going into Trash blind, like I did. I loved all the surprises the first time I read the book so do try to avoid any spoilers and just dive right in. I promise you won’t be disappointed and I promise you’ll walk away from Trash feeling like you’ve been on an incredible journey, side by side with some simply unforgettable characters.

First line: My name is Raphael Fernandez and I am a dumpsite boy.

Rating:
Plot: 5/5
Writing: 5/5
Characters: 5/5
Cover: 4/5
Total: 19/20 (A+)

4 comments:

  1. This book sound great. I'm going to give it a go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds fab. I've been very curious about this one. And I love the cover.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review! This is on my TBR list!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for introducing me to this book... it looks fantastic! I can't wait to get ahold of it!

    Jane
    janestoryblog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you kindly for the comment, you sweet thing.