Wednesday, 8 September 2010

Review: Troubadour - Mary Hoffman

Published: August 19th 2010, Bloomsbury

Pages: 287 pages, paperback

Acquired: Sent for review by Bloomsbury

Summary (from Goodreads): A story of persecution and poetry, love and war set in 13th century Southern France. As crusaders sweep through the country, destroying all those who do not follow their religion, Bertrand risks his life to warn others of the invasion. As a troubadour, Bertrand can travel without suspicion from castle to castle, passing word about the coming danger.

In the meantime Elinor, a young noblewoman, in love with Bertrand, leaves her comfortable home and family and becomes a troubadour herself. Danger encircles them both, as the rising tide of bloodshed threatens the fabric of the society in which they live.

My review: The thing that impressed me most about Troubadour is the sheer amount of research that the writer obviously put into the book. Hoffman is clearly passionate about her subject matter and it really does show. There are references to so many historical characters and each one is woven seamlessly into the plot and didn’t feel forced at any time.

The romance in the book is great as well and I really felt the connection and passion between Elinor and Bertrand. I found myself rooting for them and really wanted things to end happily for both characters – whether they do or not is something you’re going to have to find out when you read the book!

Troubadour is an interesting read as well. I felt like I learned a lot while reading the book but without feeling like I was being educated – I just picked up facts and bites of information through the story, which was great.

Troubadour is a well-written, historical love story that I can really imagine seeing on the big screen – I’m expecting Keira Knightley to play Elinor by the way. Oh and Benjamin Barnes to play Bertrand. Ha, good casting there, I think.

First line: ‘A small group of monks was making its way down to the river crossing.’

Read if you liked...: The Candidates – Inara Scott

Rating:
Plot: 4/5
Writing: 4/5
Characters: 3/5
Cover: 3/5
Total: 14/20 (B)

5 comments:

  1. This cover is stunning, I love it. I adore it. I have added the book to my tbr list. No, and not only because of the cover. The story sounds really good too, the romance! :) Great review and glad you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wanted to read this as soon as I saw the cover image. :) And your summary confirmed it. Reminds me of THE KING'S SHADOW, by Elizabeth Alden, somehow. Can't wait to read - thanks for letting me know about it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, sounds really cool. And I sort of like the crusades period a lot. *goes add to list* :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great review! I really should get this one :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you kindly for the comment, you sweet thing.