Sunday, 17 October 2010

NaNoWriMo 2010


Hello everyone!

So this is going to be my first year doing NaNo and I wanted to see who else in the blogging community is taking part. In case you didn't know, NaNoWriMo stands for National Novel Writing Month and takes place every November. The goal is to write 50,000 words within the month - sounds slightly intimidating, yes, but I'm hoping I can do it.

I had decided to write the YA novel I've been planning/researching for months but yesterday changed my mind and decided to focus on a YA horror based on 'the seven gates of hell' urban legend. I love horror but I've only written short stories before so this'll be a big change for me. It feels a lot fresher than my original idea though so I think it'd be the best one for NaNo - I'm definitely going to get cracking on the straight YA novel later on though.

Normally I take my time with writing and spend far too long procrastinating and 'researching' on the Internet but NaNo should help me to snap out of that and concentrate - after all, 1500 words a day (approx.) really isn't so much, I did it pretty much every day for three years for uni so I just need to get back into the swing of things...hopefully.

I think knowing a few other people who are taking part would really help me stay on track and keep me focused so anyone who wants a writing buddy, give me a shout and we'll keep each other going! My username is tinklechacha (don't ask) so do stop by and say hi and hopefully we can keep each other motivated :).

For more info on NaNo you can visit the website here. I only signed up this week so it's not too late to take part - I'm pretty sure you won't regret it!

12 comments:

  1. This'll be my first year participating too. I'm planning on an urban fantasy which may or may not be YA. Part of me loves YA and wants to take on the challenge, but the other part doesn't know if the main character is tame enough (or relateable enough) for a YA audience. Meh, it'll be a fun experience either way, right?

    I've gone ahead and added you to my author buddies on the NaNo site. Here's hoping for the both of us ;D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did it last year and definitely got my goal along with some extra words. The only problem about this year is the fact I now have a full time job again so I won't have days where I can stay up and write.

    Adding you as a buddy :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I"m doing it this year too. When you break the 50,000 into smaller goals (weekly or even daily) it doesn't seem so daunting. It's totally doable. Best of luck to you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been working on a novel for years, and it's turned into a gargantuan project that is taking absolutely forever. I also want to write a prequal to it, and I have two other ideas that I'd like to commit to.

    I'll work diligently this month :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This will be my first time participating. I'm not a writer at all - but have been doing small flash fictions every week on my blog and was encouraged to join NaNo by a couple of blogger friends. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good luck with NaNo! Make sure to keep us all posted. And if I haven't already said so, thanks so much for posting my websplash badge! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I completed NaNo a couple of years ago, but I'd like to give it a shot again. I've got three ideas for novels and it would be great to complete the first draft of one this year. I've dropped you a line for buddying. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice, this would be my first year as well! I've got a couple of good ideas for novels, but might have to flesh them out into 'real' plots first. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm not participating, just don't have the time, not if I want to complete a project I started. But I do wish you Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Carly!
    I'm in, too - as theprincessspy.
    My first year, and I'm stoked. :) Not sure what I'm going to write it, just going to sit down and start. Which is crazy. But I'm ready for some fun after finishing my MS and slogging through edits.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good luck with Nano! Never tried it - I'm of the mind that I like deadlines, I like the sound he make with the rush by, so no NaNo for me.

    But every luck to you!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you kindly for the comment, you sweet thing.