Monday, 4 October 2010

Review: Catching Fire - Suzanne Collins

Published: 2009, Scholastic

Acquired: Sent to me by the lovely Nayuleska (click the name to visit her awesome blog)

Pages: 472 pages, paperback

Summary (from Goodreads): Against all odds, Katniss Everdeen has won the annual Hunger Games with fellow district tribute Peeta Mellark. But it was a victory won by defiance of the Capitol and their harsh rules. Katniss and Peeta should be happy. After all, they have just won for themselves and their families a life of safety and plenty. But there are rumors of rebellion among the subjects, and Katniss and Peeta, to their horror, are the faces of that rebellion. The Capitol is angry. The Capitol wants revenge.

My review: Yes, yes, I'm still behind, seeing as it's Catching Fire I'm reviewing rather than Mockingjay but I'm getting there! So, Katniss and co are back in the second book of the Hunger Games trilogy and I have to say Catching Fire blew me away, even after the brilliance of the first book. My standards for this book were so high but Collins' stunning writing and perfect story telling shine through once again – another winner.

So the majority of talk I've heard about this series definitely centres around the love rivalry between Peeta and Gale, with heroine Katniss at the centre. Though it seems to be all anyone can talk about on the Internet, I haven't really seen too much of the love triangle yet – I'm hoping we'll see a bit more of that in Mockingjay as I do love a bit of romance.

I was so pleased to see the second round of the games in Catching Fire. Honestly, the way Collins writes about the arena and the other tributes stuck with me long after I'd finished reading the book – it's absolutely mesmerising. The changes to the games and the arena in this novel were gladly received and I'm glad Collins changed things up – rather than resting on the already established rules laid out in the first book. It definitely helps to hold the reader's attention.

My only criticism comes with the book's ending. Not that I didn't like it because I did – it just seemed slightly rushed and it was easy to miss important details upon the first read. I had to go back and reread the last few chapters to understand exactly what had happened. It seemed to flash by so fast that I'd reached the end of the novel without really knowing how we'd reached that point. Once I'd gone back and reread the ending, though, everything fell perfectly into place and I'm excited about diving in with Mockingjay!

First line: 'I clasp the flask between my hands even though the warmth from the tea has long since leached into the frozen air.'

Rating:
Plot: 4/5
Writing: 5/5
Characters: 4/5
Cover: 4/5
Total: 17/20 (A)

2 comments:

  1. Great review! I loved this one the most in the trilogy :) I'll be waiting for your impressions of Mockingjay!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this one was my fav of the series too. And yes, I am very interested to hear your thoughts on Mockingjay. It's very different!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you kindly for the comment, you sweet thing.