Wednesday, 13 October 2010

Review: Torment - Lauren Kate

Published: September 30th 2010, Delacorte Press
Bold
Pages: 401 pages, paperback

Acquired: Sent for review by Random House

Summary (from Goodreads): How many lives do you need to live before you find someone worth dying for? In the aftermath of what happened at Sword & Cross, Luce has been hidden away by her cursed angelic boyfriend, Daniel, in a new school filled with Nephilim, the offspring of fallen angels and humans. Daniel promises she will be safe here, protected from those who would kill her.

At the school Luce discovers what the Shadows that have followed her all her life mean - and how to manipulate them to see into her other lives. Yet the more Luce learns about herself, the more she realizes that the past is her only key to unlocking her future...and that Daniel hasn't told her everything.

What if his version of the past isn't actually the way things happened...what if Luce was really meant to be with someone else?

What I liked: So firstly I have to just say that the thing I love most about Torment is the stunning cover – yes, yes, story and characters and plot are important and luckily they’re fantastic too but I literally couldn’t stop staring at this cover when I first received an ARC of Torment. Beautiful. I can’t wait to see the cover of the next installment.

Luce and co are back in Torment but this time we’ve moved from Sword & Cross to a new school, where Daniel believes she will be safe from the Shadows that have always followed her. At her new school Luce makes some new Nephilim friends, Nephilim being the children of fallen angel and human parents.

The friends Luce makes really help drive the novel forwards, just as her old friends did in Fallen, Francesca and Miles are my two particular favourites – especially Miles J. Luce comes into her own in Torment, proving that she can be both endearing and funny, as well as being so much stronger than I ever gave her credit for in Fallen.

Lauren Kate is the queen of romantic prose and she’s back and better than ever in Torment – some of her descriptive passages are so beautiful I had to read them over and over again. I’d love to quote some here so I don’t want to spoil anything for those of you who haven’t read it yet.

What I didn’t like: Well, fangirls go ahead and shoot me but I’m still not crazy about Daniel, even after his epic declarations of love throughout Torment. There’s just something that doesn’t sit quite right with me – and I think Luce should be with somebody else. There’s Cam, there’s Miles... I just feel that if she was one of my friends, I’d shake her a little bit and encourage her to look outside the Daniel-shaped box she’s fixated on.

First line: ‘Daniel stared out at the bay.’

Read if you liked...: Beautiful Darkness – Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl

Rating:
Plot: 4/5
Writing: 4/5
Characters: 4/5
Cover: 5/5
Total: 17/20 (A)

8 comments:

  1. I really cannot wait to read this. It feels like I"m the only person on this planet who hasn't read this book yet. Regarding Daniel, I'm also not sure what to make of him yet. I liked him in Fallen, but I get the oddest feeling that my allegiance to him may change. Fickle of me I know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not too sure on Daniel either! Glad I'm not the only one lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely adore the cover of this one as well. I got ridiculously excited over both Fallen and Torment's cover. Can't wait to see what they come up with next.

    I'm with you on Daniel. There's something not right about him. I hope she gets together with someone else, don't care who, just as long as she realises there IS someone else out there for her besides Daniel!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the review. This cover is stunning and works so well with the first cover in the series. I still haven't read the first one but I'm interested to see if I like Daniel or not. I usually have more of a problem with the main characters than I do the main love interest but we shall see!

    ReplyDelete
  5. very good!!!
    thanks for sharing n_n

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL
    I love that you're not sold on Daniel. Truthfully, I loved book one but I wasn't either.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am not totally sold on Daniel either. I love the idea of undying love, and hopefully in the next installment we will get to see the meat of their relationship.
    But I agree with what she said, there are too many secrets.

    Brandi from Blkosiner’s Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  8. I couldn't agree more about the Daniel thing. I'm hoping that in Passion (bought it, but trying to finish up another book before I start), Lauren reveals maybe a possible history between Cam and Luce????? ;D

    ReplyDelete

Thank you kindly for the comment, you sweet thing.