Friday, 22 October 2010

Review: A Year in Girl Hell: Crushed - Meredith Costain

Published: 2009, Hardie Grant Egmont

Pages: 137 pages, paperback

Acquired: Sent for review by Hardie Grant Egmont

Summary (from back cover): ‘It’s the first year of high school and everything’s changing. One of my besties is in a different class and the other has started hanging out with the shiny people. I’m torn between sticking with my old friends or getting the shinies to like me. But there’s a gorgeous boy in the cool group that I can’t stop thinking about. Will I fit in or be Lexi the Loser forever? High school is shaping up to be hell!’

My review: I’ll start by saying that Crushed is a middle grade novel, which is slightly outside my comfort zone as I generally review older fiction. However, as soon as I got past the first couple of chapters I remembered why middle grade fiction can be so fun if written right – which Crushed is.

When Lexi starts high school she's excited to be with her best friends Mia and Alysha but when Mia's put into a different class and Alysha starts hanging out with the cool kids, Lexi has to decide whether to stay true to herself (and save her friendship with Mia and new girl Michi) or to stick with Alyssa and try to make it as one of the shinies.

The characters are relatable and the awkward social situations are something we all went through at high school. The struggle to fit in, trying to impress that one particular boy – who hasn’t been there? It made a refreshing change to read about normal girls doing normal teenage things and it was nice to switch off for an hour and step into Lexi’s shoes and learn more about her and her friends.

Michi was my favourite character. I think she definitely has a lot of potential to come into her own in the later instalments of the series – which I can’t wait to get my hands on, by the way. This book ended on such a cliff hanger that I’d suggest going straight from one book to the next to avoid a squeal of frustration when you realise you’ve hit the end of Crushed.

First line: ‘Lexi, can you hurry up, please?’

Read if you liked...: The Clique – Lisi Harrison

Rating:
Plot: 4/5
Writing: 4/5
Characters: 3/5
Cover: 4/5
Total: 15/20 (B)

1 comment:

  1. Lovely review! I taught that age group for a few years. The girls tend to be as described and the boys, well, they're on the edge of realizing what's going on around them.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you kindly for the comment, you sweet thing.