Wednesday, 27 October 2010

Waiting on Wednesday: Like Mandarin - Kirsten Hubbard

Waiting on Wednesday was started by Jill over at Breaking the Spine and is a post detailing an upcoming book you can't wait to read. This week I've chosen 'Like Mandarin' by Kirsten Hubbard. I first read about this one a few months ago and I'm completely intrigued by it - the synopsis is so fascinating and I love the cover. It just sounds like a really unique read and I seriously can't wait to get a copy.

Sadly this one isn't out until March 8th 2011 - I may have to preorder it!

Published: March 8th 2011, Delacorte Press
Summary (from Goodreads): "I want to be beautiful like you, I thought, as if Mandarin were listening.

I want apricot skin and Pocahontas hair and eyes the color of tea. I want to be confident and detached and effortlessly sensual, and if promiscuity is part of the package, I will gladly follow your lead. All I know is I'm so tired of being inside my body.

I would give anything to be like Mandarin."

~

It's hard finding beauty in the badlands of Washokey, Wyoming, but 14-year-old Grace Carpenter knows it's not her mother's pageant obsessions, or the cowboy dances adored by her small-town classmates. True beauty is wild-girl Mandarin Ramey: 17, shameless and utterly carefree. Grace would give anything to be like Mandarin.

When they're united for a project, they form an unlikely, explosive friendship, packed with nights spent skinny-dipping in the canal, liberating the town's animal-head trophies, and searching for someplace magic. Grace plays along when Mandarin suggests they run away together. Blame it on the crazy-making wildwinds plaguing their badlands town.

Because all too soon, Grace discovers Mandarin's unique beauty hides a girl who's troubled, broken, and even dangerous. And no matter how hard Grace fights to keep the magic, no friendship can withstand betrayal.

Sounds great, right? What's your pick this week?

7 comments:

  1. I never thought Mandarin is actually her name!Whoot!But the story sounds great =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This one is on my list too. Good choice! Happy reading :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't wait for this one either! It sounds amazing. Great pick :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am also waiting for this one - I fell in love with that teaser snippet when I first read it and much as I tried to ignore it, I just kept on coming back to it. I really can't wait for this one to be released!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm intrigued by this one too. It sounds so different and I already feel like I know the characters a little bit, thanks to that awesome summary. Great pick.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks so much Carly (and commenters)! I really hope you enjoy Mandarin when she's released :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you kindly for the comment, you sweet thing.