Wednesday, 22 December 2010

Blog Tour: Entangled - Cat Clarke

Hi all! As you may (or may not) know I'm a huge fan of Entangled by Cat Clarke. It's due out early January and is being published by Quercus books. It's an absolutely fantastic story and I urge you to get your hands on a copy - I promise you won't be let down.

I'm lucky to have Cat here today to answer a few of my (highly intrusive) questions about her teenage years. Enjoy!


1. What was the most rebellious thing you did as a teenager?

I may have had a drink or two, if that counts as being rebellious. Oh, and I did skive off school once in a while, but please don’t tell anyone.

2. At what age did you realise that you loved cheese?

I came to cheese rather late – I was 18 when I first realized its magical properties. Since then it’s been a journey of discovery, I can tell you. *wistful sigh*
3. What was the first concert/gig you attended?
Wet Wet Wet. I’m saying nothing.

4. Would you mind sharing the story of your first kiss? What about your worst teenage kiss?

Gah! Do I HAVE to?! My first kiss was at the cinema with a boy I’m going to call N. It was probably also my worst kiss, because he smelt kind of strange (sorry, N!). I’m very proud to tell you that the movie was not some lame romantic comedy. (And no, I’m not going to tell you what it was... suffice to say there were people killing each other. That really helped set the mood for the kissing.) Pretty boring story, right? I could embellish it with dragons and vampires and man-eating tigers... but that would be lying.

5. What was the first song that really made you giddy with emotion?

Everybody Hurts – REM. Emo or what?! I’m trying to think of a song that made me giddy in a good way though... how about Tonight – New Kids on the Block? What a tune!
6. Tell me about your first time being drunk (or ‘intoxicated’ if we’re going to be formal)?

It was at a house party. I drank beer and cider. It was messy. There was vomit. I vowed I would never drink again. Alcohol is evil.

7. What’s the one thing you miss most about being a carefree teen?

Not having to stress about bills and mortgages and boring grown-up admin. I swear I’m allergic to filling in forms. There is a pile of forms next to me on my desk – some have been waiting for months. If anyone would like to volunteer to fill them in for me, I’d be ever so grateful. Anyone? No? Sigh. I also miss being able to spend most of my money on clothes and music. But there are also 43,267 things I DON’T miss about being a teenager, so that’s OK.

8. Did you have a secret teacher crush (I know you did - everybody did)?

I was all ready to answer ‘no’ to this question... and then I remembered Mr S! He was a temporary English teacher who came in to teach us a bit about acting. His brother was a semi-famous actor, which I thought was the coolest thing ever. Mr S was shorter than his brother, but better-looking. He had blond hair and had nicely tanned forearms, which were always on show because his shirtsleeves were permanently rolled up. Wow. Thanks for that blast from the past, Carly!

9. What was the worst fashion trend you succumbed to as a teenager?

I bought a paisley shirt from the market when I was about 12 – not quite a teenager, but near enough. I think it was my first clothes purchase with my own money. Words cannot describe its hideousness. I’m not even sure there was a paisley shirt trend at the time! Maybe it was just in my town... Yeah, that’s my excuse and I’m sticking to it.

10. What is your favourite school memory?

The very last day of Year 11. Utter mayhem – everyone running round signing each other’s shirts. I was VERY excited about the prospect of not having to wear school uniform any more. Although, looking back at the clothes I wore in sixth form, perhaps school uniforms weren’t such a bad idea after all.
11. Would you say you were a well-balanced teen or more of a ‘everybody hates me/life is unfair/nobody understands’ type?

Definitely the latter. I’d guess lots of writers fall into that category. I hid my emo tendencies pretty well though, so people probably thought I was well balanced.

12. Finally, did you write while you were a teenager? If so, was it overindulgent emo poetry? Please say yes.

I did write a little. And... um... yeah. There may have been a couple of overindulgent emo poems. Mostly I wrote the beginnings of novels – I’m talking a page or two max. I got bored easily. Everything I wrote was a poor imitation of Christopher Pike, whose books I adored. I kind of wish I’d knuckled down and finished a book back then (mainly because it would be hilarious to read now!).

*

So there we go - I hope you all know a little more about the lovely Cat now :). Make sure you pick up a copy of Entangled when it's released in January, promise?

4 comments:

  1. Hey Carly,
    Great interview with Cat. I loved the "Teach Crush" question. It brought back one of my own. I always enjoy visiting you. Happy Holidays.
    See ya,
    Dana
    Readaholics Anonymous

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great interview Carly. I loved all of your questions and thought Cat's answers were equally fantastic. I can't wait to read Entangled - it really needs to be released soon here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, one of the best interviews I've read! So much fun and I love, love, love how embarassing it all got. Emo poems, first kiss, teacher crush!!! I had to laugh. Thanks for this.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you kindly for the comment, you sweet thing.