Monday, 13 December 2010

Blog Tour: Red in the Flower Bed - Andrea Nepa

Published: December 12th 2008, Tribute Books

Pages: 28 pages

Acquired: E-book sent for review

Summary (from Goodreads): The journey of adoption is beautifully depicted with the comforting imagery of a poppy flower who is welcomed into a garden family. It is a charming story of "seeds" being planted in the perfect place - exactly where they belong.

Children and adults will enjoy this simple yet meaningful story and homespun illustrations. The book's loving approach helps children to understand adoption. Andrea Nepa has captured the essence of adoption and family, and has illustrated it beautifully with images and poetry that even a small child can comprehend and enjoy.


My review: Here at Writing from the Tub I do like to try and be diverse as possible with the books I read and review, though my preferences are firmly rooted in contemporary YA I always like to try new things and broaden my horizons. Red in the Flower Bed is definitely not my typical pick but I’m so glad Tribute approached me to be part of the blog tour as I fell in love with the story Nepa tells in her book.

Red in the Flower Bed is short but very, very sweet and you won’t be able to make it through without breaking into a soppy smile, I promise. I’m not adopted myself but I imagine younger adopted children who are going through a confusing time could take great comfort in this story.

The imagery used is great – accessible to both adults and children and the writing is superb, simple enough that it isn’t daunting at all for young readers but complicated enough that the language doesn’t come across as patronising. This is a great book that could be shared with the whole family and I really did enjoy it, perfect for lifting my mood on this horrible grey day!

Rating:
Plot: 5/5
Writing: 4/5
Characters: 4/5
Cover: 3/5 Total: 16/20 (B+)

(Andrea and her daughter, Leah)

If you like the sound of Red in the Flower Bed then check out the links below for more information and to see the trailer for the book:

Book web site: http://www.redintheflowerbed.com

Andrea Nepa Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.php?id=1664060822

Tribute Books website: http://www.tribute-books.com

Tribute Books Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Archbald-PA/Tribute-Books/171628704176

Tribute Books Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/TributeBooks

Andrea Nepa Bio:
Andrea Nepa is the mother of an adopted Vietnamese daughter named Leah. In 2001, Adoptions from the Heart assisted with the international adoption. Andrea dedicated her book to her daughter: "For my dear Leah, whose journey in her young life has already taken her to far away and unexpected places." In 2006, Leah was diagnosed with cancer. She is currently in remission. Andrea lives with Leah and her husband, David, in Haddonfield, New Jersey. She is a registered dietitian for the Children's Hospital of Philadelphia.

YouTube video book trailer


Buy links:
http://tribute-books.com/shop.html#children4

Excerpt:
http://www.tribute-books.com/redfirst10.pdf

4 comments:

  1. It does sound cute. I'm going to add it to my list.

    Thanks for the sweet review

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww, thanks Carly - your review means a lot to us. I'm so glad to hear that RED IN THE FLOWER BED peaked your interest enough that you willing to explore a different genre on your blog. And we're so glad that it brought a little joy and color into your winter day.

    Thank you for sharing it with the readers of Writing from the Tub and we appreciate your participation in the blog tour. We are grateful for your support.

    Best wishes,
    Nicole
    Tribute Books

    ReplyDelete
  3. Carly - thank you very much for reviewing my book.

    AnimeGirl - if you get a chance to pick up "Red in the Flower Bed" I'd love to hear your thoughts on it.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you kindly for the comment, you sweet thing.