Wednesday, 1 December 2010

Review: The Hating Game - Talli Roland


Help Talli Roland's debut novel THE HATING GAME hit the Kindle bestseller list at Amazon.com and Amazon.co.uk by spreading the word today. Talli's absolutely lovely and The Hating Game is a fab book - I really do recommend it!

Even a few sales in a short period of time on Amazon helps push the book up the rankings, making it more visible to other readers. Click on the following links to have a look for yourself:

Amazon.co.uk

Amazon.com

No Kindle? Download a free app at Amazon for Mac, iPhone, PC, Android and more.

Coming soon in paperback. Keep up with the latest at www.talliroland.com and see below for my review and thoughts on the novel!



Published:
December 1st 2010, Prospera

Pages: 320 pages, e-book

Acquired: Sent for review by the lovely author

Summary (from Goodreads): When man-eater Mattie Johns agrees to star on a dating game show to save her ailing recruitment business, she's confident she'll sail through to the end without letting down the perma-guard she's perfected from years of her love 'em and leave 'em dating strategy.

After all, what can go wrong with dating a few losers and hanging out long enough to pick up a juicy £50,000 prize?

Plenty, Mattie discovers, when it's revealed that the contestants are four of her very unhappy exes.

Can Mattie confront her past to get the prize money she so desperately needs, or will her exes finally wreak their long-awaited revenge? And what about the ambitious TV producer whose career depends on stopping her from making it to the end?

My review: I’ve been following the journey of The Hating Game for a few months now so it was pretty darn exciting to receive an electronic copy to review. I fell in love with the plot as soon as I heard about it – I’m a complete sucker for reality TV, especially dating shows so I knew I was onto a winner from the outset.

Roland’s characterisation here is great – we’re introduced to a lot of characters throughout the book but I didn’t find myself confused at any point as to who was who or having to flick back to check what her relationship had been with each man. Mattie is a brilliant protagonist and I love the fact she isn’t your standard chick lit heroine. She’s not perfect, she’s not loved by everybody and she’s certainly not rich and spoiled. She’s taking part in the TV show solely to win the £50,000 she needs to keep her business afloat and I love the journey we see her go on as the story progresses and her ice queen exterior begins to thaw.

The opening of the book had me in stitches as we see Mattie hanging on for dear life above a dunk-tank at a corporate event. Her inner monologues are brilliant and this is one book where pop culture references only strengthen the story.

I loved the concept of the dating show – honestly, I can’t believe this hasn’t been done before on TV. There was such scope for gags and I think Roland made full use of the situation perfectly. This is the perfect book to pick you up if you’re feeling down – you won’t be able to make it through a couple of paragraphs without smiling, I promise you.

First line: ‘"If I get pneumonia, he's going to pay," Mattie Johns muttered as she gripped the chains of the dunk-tank swing and looked down into the murky water.’

Rating:
Plot: 5/5
Writing: 4/5
Characters: 4/5
Cover: 4/5
Total: 17/20 (A)

2 comments:

  1. Thank you so much, Carly! I'm so happy you enjoyed reading it, and thank you for taking part in the Web Splash! I really appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review Carly. The Hating Game is a really fun read and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Talli's a very talented writer and I wish her all the best on release day.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you kindly for the comment, you sweet thing.