Monday, 20 December 2010

The Twelve Days of Christmas - Day Seven: Six Favourite New Authors of 2010

Hi all! Wow, I'm over half way through this feature now and we're only days away from Christmas! I don't know about all of you but I cannot wait to finish work on Christmas Eve and head home, get wrapped up in some warm pjs and start the Christmas-fest. What are your plans for Christmas?

Today I'm bringing you my six favourite authors that I discovered during 2010 - funnily enough they're all ladies! Michael Grant, Andy Mulligan and Chris Priestley very, very nearly made the list but were just pipped to the post but these girls:

Day Seven: Six Favourite New Authors of 2010

• Lauren Kate (Fallen/Torment/The Betrayal of Natalie Hargrove)

When I received a copy of Fallen for review my immediate thoughts were that the cover was beautiful but I was pretty sure I wouldn't enjoy the story. I thought it'd be a badly written rip off of Twilight (and I'm sure all of you know I'm not the biggest Twilight fan in the world - understatement) and I would give up a few chapters in. How wrong was I?

I loved Fallen, was drawn in from the outset and am now a huge Lauren Kate fan. Along with some brilliant UK bloggers I met the lady herself in London at an event organised by Random House a couple of months ago and I can confirm she's absolutely lovely - plus, she liked my eye shadow so that's always an easy way to win me over :).

I enjoyed Torment just as much as Fallen and I've got a proof of The Betrayal of Natalie Hargrove on my bookshelves that's calling to me right now.


• Grace Dent (Diary of a Chav/Diary of a Snob/LBD series)

At the beginning of 2010 I knew Grace Dent as a comedian but was unaware that she was also a YA writer. A couple of months ago I ordered the first installment in the Diary of a Chav series. Instantly, I was hooked. Dent is a hilarious writer but heart achingly tender in parts - she has that rare ability to have me shaking with laughter in one paragraph and welling up in the next.


• Suzanne Collins (The Hunger Games series)

Much like everybody else in the blogosphere I devoured the Hunger Games series and am a huge fan of Collins' writing. The scene in The Hunger Games when Katniss first enters the arena is a fantastic piece of writing that shows off Collins' skills to the max. She can built tension like no other writer I've come across this year and I can't wait to start reading The Underland Chronicles to see how they match up to The Hunger Games.


• Lucy Christopher (Stolen/Flyaway)

I am absolutely in love with Lucy Christophers novels and her gorgeous writing style. Stolen was one of the first books I ever reviewed and it will always have a special place in my heart - I love it :). I really, really enjoyed Flyaway when I reviewed it later on in the year and I cannot wait to see what she does next. Plus - any graduates from Bath Spa always make me happy.


• Jenny Downham (Before I Die/You Against Me)

I don't know any YA reviewers who have anything bad to say about Jenny Downham. I was convinced it was impossible for her to outdo Before I Die but I loved You Against Me even more. Downham's writing style is infectious and delicate and if you haven't read either of these novels yet you must!


• Jandy Nelson (The Sky is Everywhere)

Well, I don't know what to say about this writer and book that I haven't said before but I'm a huge, huge fan of Jandy Nelson's. The Sky is Everywhere is my favourite book of 2010 and I've reread it so many times but I still enjoy it just as much as I did the first time I read it. I haven't read a review that hasn't touched on Nelson's wonderful writing style so if you haven't picked up a copy of The Sky is Everywhere yet then make sure you look out for it - especially the UK version as I think the cover's beautiful.


So there we have it - my six favourite writers of 2010. Do you agree with any of these and who would be on your list?

Also, the lovely Kylie over at Kylie's Reads and the lovely Keris Stainton (of Della says: OMG! fame) are both posting their own versions of this feature so head over to their blogs to check out their posts :)

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for this! I've just finished Stolen, and am about to read no. 2 in The Hunger Games trilogy, so I'll be using your list to discover some more favourites!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this post! Just as I loved You Against Me and The Sky Is Everywhere. I think my favourite new authors in 2010 were Elizabeth Scott (I read five of her novels last year!) and Melina Marchetta (just read two, but I have Jellicoe Road waiting for me) I loved your Twelve Days of Christmas! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you kindly for the comment, you sweet thing.