Monday, 3 January 2011

Review: The Chronicles of Vladimir Tod: Eighth Grade Bites - Heather Brewer

Published: January 3rd 2011, Razorbill
Pages: 182 pages, paperback
Series?: Yes, this is the first instalment. Ninth Grade Slays is already out in the US and is due to be published in the UK next month
Acquired: Sent for review

Summary (from Goodreads): Junior high really sucks for thirteen-year-old Vladimir Tod. Bullies harass him, the principal is dogging him, and the girl he likes prefers his best friend. Oh, and Vlad has a secret: his mother was human, but his father was a vampire.

With no idea of the extent of his powers, Vlad struggles daily with his blood cravings and his enlarged fangs. When a substitute teacher begins to question him a little too closely, Vlad worries that his cover is about to be blown. But then he faces a much bigger problem: he's being hunted by a vampire killer.


My review: I’d read quite a few reviews of various Vladimir Tod books on the US blogs and was itching to get my hands on the first instalment, so when Eighth Grade Bites plopped through my letter box I was excited to get started.

Although I’m not a huge fan of vampire romances (not a huge fan may be an understatement) I am a fan of the genre, when written well. It’s clear from page one of Eighth Grade Bites that Heather Brewer is also a fan of the genre and strived to do it justice in her books. Yay!

The tag line of ‘High school totally bites when you’re half-human, half-vampire’ tells you all you need to know about Vlad Tod and the book does exactly what it says on the tin. It’s modern, it’s funny and it’s obvious that this series is going to be just as successful over here as it has been in the US.

While trying to deal with blood cravings and fangs Vlad also has to deal with generic high school problems – girls, bullies and homework. Oh, and a vampire killer is hunting him. Great.

First line: ‘A tree branch slapped John Craig across the face, scraping his skin, but he kept on running and ignored the stabbing of pine needles on his bare feet.’

Read if you liked…: Diary of a Wimpy Vampire – Tim Collins

Rating:
Plot: 4/5
Writing: 3/5
Characters: 3/5
Cover: 4/5 Total: 14/20 (B)

Other links:
Author’s website
Goodreads page
Amazon.co.uk link
Book Depository link

4 comments:

  1. Ooh, I've been wanting to read this series for ages! Thanks for the review, it sounds good :). I'll look out for this in the shops.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This one sounds like such fun. I've got it on my pile to read fairly soonish!

    Sorry about the huge burst of comments from me, I'm absolutely struggling to keep up with everyone's blog posts. Will be on catch-up duty for the next month or so!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been so unsure about picking this one up. After staring at these books at stores, they look to me like they'd be at least okay... I don't know. I might try them this summer or something.

    Glad to see you liked it! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you kindly for the comment, you sweet thing.