Tuesday, 4 January 2011

Review: Entice - Carrie Jones

Published: January 4th 2011, Bloomsbury
Pages: 264 pages, paperback
Series?: Yes, Entice is the third instalment (Need and Captivate are the first two books)
Acquired: Sent for review

Summary (from Goodreads): Zara and Nick are soul mates, meant to be together forever. But that's not quite how things have worked out.

For starters, well, Nick is dead. Supposedly, he's been taken to a mythic place for warriors known as Valhalla, so Zara and her friends might be able to get him back. But it's taking time, and meanwhile a group of evil pixies is devastating Bedford, with more teens going missing every day. An all-out war seems imminent, and the good guys need all the warriors they can find.

But how to get to Valhalla?
And even if Zara and her friends discover the way, there's that other small problem: Zara's been pixie kissed. When she finds Nick, will he even want to go with her? Especially since she hasn't just turned. She's Astley's queen.

My review: The story in Entice picks up right where Captivate left off so we’re dipped right back into the action from page one. I’ll try and make this as spoiler free as possible, seeing as today is publication day so I won’t mention the ending of Captivate, just in case you’re not up to date yet.

I think Entice is my favourite out of the three Need books – the stakes are higher, the action is so much more intense and, finally, Zara has quit whining. It only took three books but she made it. I think she might even have cracked a smile.

Joking aside, Zara has really grown on me after three books and looking back on who she was in Need it’s easy to see what a journey she’s been on, which is the sign of a great series in my opinion.

A lot of readers seem to be torn between Team Nick and Team Astley. Well, I try not to get suckered into the whole ‘Team’ scene but in this case I think I would be leaning towards Team Astley. Not that I don’t agree that Zara and Nick are soul mates but, for me, Astley is so much more entertaining. He’s charming, he comes out with some great one liners and the pages brighten up when he appears.

So, I want to know what you guys thought of Entice. Did you enjoy it? How do you think it shaped up against the first two books? And, finally, are you Team Nick or Team Astley?

First line: ‘Law enforcement authorities are still investigating the strange bus accident that recently killed several Summery High School students.’

Read if you liked…: Beautiful Creatures – Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl

Rating:
Plot: 4/5
Writing: 4/5
Characters: 3/5
Cover: 4/5
Total: 15/20 (B)

Other links:
Author’s website
Goodreads page
Amazon.co.uk link
Book Depository link

4 comments:

  1. hi carly! this series have such pretty covers that i'm tempted to read it just for that reason. thanks for the review :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to read this book so bad! I put the first two books in my classroom and now one is missing and one is always checked out haha! My students can't get enough of the pixie! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome opening line. Great review. I gotta gotta try this series.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you kindly for the comment, you sweet thing.