Friday, 7 January 2011

Review: My Soul to Take - Rachel Vincent

Published: January 6th 2011, Mira Ink
Pages: 345 pages, paperback
Series?: Yes, this is the first instalment in the series
Acquired: Sent for review

Summary (from Goodreads): She doesn't see dead people, but she senses when someone near her is about to die. And when that happens, a force beyond her control compels her to scream bloody murder. Literally.

Kaylee just wants to enjoy having caught the attention of the hottest guy in school. But a normal date is hard to come by when Nash seems to know more about her need to scream than she does. And when classmates start dropping dead for no apparent reason, only Kaylee knows who'll be next…


My review: Well My Soul to take certainly has an exciting opening! We’re thrust straight into the drama from the opening pages and the book really grabbed my attention from page one. I’d heard so many wonderful things about this book from US bloggers that I couldn’t wait for my own copy.

Luckily My Soul to Take lived up to the hype and I can whole-heartedly recommend it – though I did have a slight quibble that, for me, too much time was dedicated to explaining Kaylee’s condition and situation in the middle of the book which made it drag a little. Though things did more than pick up at the end, where the pace raced forwards.

At first I thought the relationship between Kaylee and Nash was a little clich├ęd but as we learned more about his complex character I warmed to both him and the relationship. He has so much more to bring to the table than I originally thought and it was great to see his character developing throughout the story.

The ending was brilliant and I know it’s something a lot of other bloggers have touched on so I won’t reveal any details but – wow, what a shocker! I did not see that coming! Roll on book two, I say!

First line: ‘“Come on!” Emma whispered from my right, her words floating from her mouth in a thin white cloud.’

Read if you liked…: The Shifters series – Rachel Vincent

Rating:
Plot: 4/5
Writing: 4/5
Characters: 3/5
Cover: 5/5
Total: 15/20 (B)

Other links:
Author’s website
Goodreads page
Amazon.co.uk link
Book Depository link

Alternative covers:

3 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed this one too. I loved how I had no idea where it was going.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK, you've convinced me. I'm adding this to my TBR list!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I <3 that last cover. I'm still on the fence about this series.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you kindly for the comment, you sweet thing.