Tuesday, 11 January 2011

Review: Withering Tights - Louise Rennison

Published: July 8th 2010, HarperCollins Children’s Books
Pages: 351 pages, hardback
Series?: Yes, the second instalment is due out Summer 2011
Acquired: Gift for Christmas

Summary (from Goodreads): Picture the scene: Dother Hall performing arts college somewhere Up North, surrounded by rolling dales, bearded cheesemaking villagers (male and female) and wildlife of the squirrely-type.

On the whole, it’s not quite the showbiz experience Tallulah was expecting… but once her mates turn up and they start their ‘FAME! I’m gonna liiiiive foreeeeeever, I’m gonna fill my tiiiiights’ summer course things are bound to perk up.

Especially when the boys arrive. (When DO the boys arrive?) Six weeks of parent-free freedom. BOY freedom. Freedom of expression... cos it’s the THEATRE dahling, theatre!

My review: I’m a huge, huge fan of Louise Rennison’s work. Just like every other girl my age I was absolutely drawn in by the Confessions of Georgia Nicholson series and I’ve been desperate to read Withering Tights ever since it was released in July. Finally, I received a copy for Christmas and I’m happy to say it was the first book I read in 2011.

I was nervous that Withering Tights wouldn’t quite live up to my expectations and delivery my much needed Rennison fix and, although I don’t think anything will trump Angus, Thongs and Full Frontal Snogging, Withering Tights is absolutely fantastic and it definitely filled the teen diary shaped hole in my life.

From page one Rennison’s signature bonkers prose and hilarious gags are in full swing and I promise you’ll be laughing from beginning to end. Tallulah is a brilliant character and her friends at Dother Hall are fantastic, especially Jo – who suffers from stereotypical short man syndrome. Brilliant.

Tallulah desperately wants to impress her teachers to ensure she can stay at Dother Hall past the end of the summer but the problem is she’s just… not very good at anything. Unlike her friends who are an all-singing all-jazz handing group of born performers, Tallulah can’t seem to get anything quite right. That is, until a new teacher sees her potential.

Well, a teen diary novel wouldn’t be complete without a bit of boy drama and we have it aplenty in Withering Tights. Tallulah’s stressed out by the fact that she’s never been kissed and by her lack of ‘corker growth’. She keeps running into an enigmatic dark haired rebel who has a penchant for swinging dead foxes around but can’t keep her thoughts away from certain boys who most certainly shouldn’t be occupying her thoughts.

Will Tallulah get her first kiss? Will she finally fit into a trainer bra and will she ever manage to get through a lesson at Dother Hall without breaking into an Irish jig? Well, you shall see! Oh, also I have to mention how over-excited I was about finding out who Tallulah's cousin is - I LOVE that little detail.

First line: ‘Wow.’

Read if you liked…: The Georgia Nicholson Diaries – Louise Rennison

Rating:
Plot: 5/5
Writing: 5/5
Characters: 4/5
Cover: 4/5
Total: 18/20 (A)

For more information:

Author’s website
Goodreads page
Amazon.co.uk link
Book Depository link

Alternative covers (UK paperback):




















*Withering Tights has been read as part of the British Book Challenge, hosted by The Bookette*

4 comments:

  1. I have an award for you here: http://simpleloveofreading.blogspot.com/2011/01/stylish-blogger-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I've not seen the paperback cover of it. This book is fantastic, I loved it as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dead foxes? Hmmm... yep it does sound bonkers! Fun!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you kindly for the comment, you sweet thing.