Saturday, 5 February 2011

On My Wishlist - 3

So every week I take part in Waiting on Wednesday but I’ve decided that, in addition to this, I’m also going to start posting up a few weeks a week that are on my wishlist but have already been published.

I love reading previously published books just as much as new releases and I have a huge list of older books that I’m desperate to get my hands on. What about you guys – what books are on your wishlist?

Harmonic Feedback - Tara Kelly

Published:
May 25th 2010, Henry Holt and Co

Summary (from Goodreads): Sixteen-year-old, music- and sound design-obsessed Drea doesn’t have friends. She has, as she’s often reminded, issues. Drea’s mom and a rotating band of psychiatrists have settled on “a touch of Asperger’s.”

Having just moved to the latest in a string of new towns, Drea meets two other outsiders. And Naomi and Justin seem to actually like Drea. The three of them form a band after an impromptu, Portishead-comparison-worthy jam after school. Justin swiftly challenges not only Drea’s preference for Poe over Black Lab but also her perceived inability to connect with another person. Justin, against all odds, may even like like Drea.

It’s obvious that Drea can’t hide behind her sound equipment anymore. But just when she’s found not one but two true friends, can she stand to lose one of them?

Why it's on my wishlist: Well, I have to admit the 'Portishead-comparison-worthy jam' sold me on this one. I'm a huge music fan so a young adult novel focussed around music is right up my street.


Pretty Bad Things - C.J. Skuse

Published:
March 1st 2010, Chicken House

Summary (from Goodreads): Sixteen-year old twins in Candy-Store crime spree. Twins, Paisley and Beau Argent are in the headlines again. Last time, they were the 'wonder twins', when as six-year-olds they were found alive in woods after three days missing following their mother's death -three days spent looking for their dad.

Now at sixteen, life's not so wonderful. Out-cast and exploited by their money-grabbing grandmother, they're still clueless about their dad's whereabouts. Until they discover an old letter from him. That's when they decide to hit the road - and make headlines again. Holding up fast-food joints might seem extreme but if they can get on the news, and tell their dad they need him, they might get the dream reunion they thought could happen.

Why it's on my wishlist: This sounds like a fun young adult murder mystery novel, which I haven't really come across before. I'm always looking for something unique so I think I'll really enjoy this one!


Being Jamie Baker - Kelly Oram

Published: June 14th 2010, Bluefields

Summary (from Goodreads):
An accident that should end in tragedy instead gives seventeen-year-old Jamie Baker a slew of uncontrollable superhuman abilities.

To keep her secret safe Jamie socially exiles herself, earning the title of Rocklin High's resident ice queen. But during a supercharged encounter with star quarterback Ryan Miller she literally kisses anonymity goodbye. Now the annoyingly irresistible Ryan will stop at nothing to melt the heart of the ice queen and find out what makes her so special.

Unfortunately, Ryan is not the only person on to her secret. Will Jamie learn to contain her unstable powers before being discovered by the media or turned into a government lab rat?

More importantly, can she throw Ryan Miller off her trail before falling in love with him?


Why it's on my wishlist: Being Jamie Baker sounds so fun and I'm in love with the cover. I'm looking forward to buying this one soon!


Drums, Girls and Dangerous Pie - Jordan Sonnenblick

Published:
September 1st 2005, Scholastic

Summary (from Goodreads): Thirteen-year-old Steven has a totally normal life: he plays drums in the All-Star Jazz band, has a crush on the hottest girl in the school, and is constantly annoyed by his five-year-old brother, Jeffrey.

But when Jeffrey is diagnosed with leukemia, Steven's world is turned upside down. He is forced to deal with his brother's illness and his parents' attempts to keep the family in one piece. Salted with humor and peppered with devastating realities, Drums, Girls & Dangerous Pie is a heartwarming journey through a year in the life of a family in crisis.


Why it's on my wishlist: I already fairly sure that this one will make me cry when I read it - it sounds like a really interesting premise and I've heard great things about it.


Leaving Paradise - Simone Elkeles

Published:
April 1st 2007, Bt Bound

Summary (from Goodreads): Nothing has been the same since Caleb Becker left a party drunk, got behind the wheel, and hit Maggie Armstrong. Even after months of painful physical therapy, Maggie walks with a limp. Her social life is nil and a scholarship to study abroad—her chance to escape everyone and their pitying stares — has been canceled.

After a year in juvenile jail, Caleb’s free . . . if freedom means endless nagging from a transition coach and the prying eyes of the entire town. Coming home should feel good, but his family and ex-girlfriend seem like strangers.

Caleb and Maggie are outsiders, pigeon-holed as "criminal" and "freak." Then the truth emerges about what really happened the night of the accident and, once again, everything changes. It’s a bleak and tortuous journey for Caleb and Maggie, yet they end up finding comfort and strength from a surprising source: each other
.

Why it's on my wishlist: I'm a big fan of Simone Elkeles but I've only actually read the first two in the Perfect Chemistry series so I'd really like to read one of her books that's outside that series.


(Note: Apologies if somebody has already coined this feature title but I honestly couldn’t think of anything else more appropriate – if you named a feature ‘On My Wishlist’ and want me to credit you or change mine then just let me know!)

5 comments:

  1. Book Chick City does run a On My Wishlist meme every Saturday. There are always lots of interesting books there. I know it has made my own wishlist grow. She does have a Linky too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmm, Portishead! I've had my eye on HARMONIC FEEDBACK for a while now! Also, I've been meaning to check out some of Simone Elkeles's books. Glad to hear you're a fan.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Harmonic Feedback and Being Jamie Baker are on my wishlist too! Pretty Bad Things looks quite good too - thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Being Jamie Baker, Leaving Paradise, and especially HARMONIC FEEDBACK have been on my wishlist for the longest time!

    http://blackfingernailedreviews.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've had Pretty Bad Things on my shelves for absolutely ages and I haven't gotten around to reading it :( Oops. It's a signed copy that I won in a giveaway and now that I have a copy of Rockaholic I'm thinking AHH, really should have read first book published first. Because I'm odd like that.

    I've read Leaving Paradise, it's all right. It's very different from the Fuentes brothers books. Less focus on the romance and more focus on character development as each struggles with the positions they're in. I read the sequel Return to Paradise recently and it's a little smarmy, but OK.

    Anyway, fab books as always!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you kindly for the comment, you sweet thing.