Saturday, 12 February 2011

On My Wishlist - 4

So every week I take part in Waiting on Wednesday but I’ve decided that, in addition to this, I’m also going to start posting up a few weeks a week that are on my wishlist but have already been published.

I love reading previously published books just as much as new releases and I have a huge list of older books that I’m desperate to get my hands on. What about you guys – what books are on your wishlist?

Deadline - Chris Crutcher

Published:
September 1st 2007 by HarperTeen

Summary (from Goodreads): In this often heartbreaking but highly empowering tale, an 18-year-old boy learns he has one year to live and decides to keep his illness a secret from his friends and family in order to live a so-called normal life. The hero is a well-developed character who shows both sensitivity and humor in dealing with his impending death, as well as a variety of other serious issues teens can relate to: romance, racism, mental illness, and more.

Through an engaging first-person narrative filled with gut-wrenching honesty, Chris Crutcher delivers a thought-provoking tale that offers a great exercise in living each day as though it might be your last.


Why it's on my wishlist: This one sounds a little like Before I Die by Jenny Downham and I think it'll be great to hear from a male protagonist for a change.

The Chosen One - Carol Lynch Williams

Published:
May 12th 2009 by St. Martin's Griffin

Summary (from Goodreads): Thirteen-year-old Kyra has grown up in an isolated polygamous community without questioning her father’s three wives and her twenty brothers and sisters. Or at least without questioning them much—if you don’t count her secret visits to the Mobile Library on Wheels to read forbidden books, or her meetings with the boy she hopes to choose for herself instead of having a man chosen for her.

But when the Prophet decrees that Kyra must marry her 60-year-old uncle—who already has six wives—Kyra must make a desperate choice in the face of violence and her own fears of losing her family


Why it's on my wishlist: I'm really, really intrigued to read this one - I definitely haven't read anything like The Chosen One before and, although I don't think it will make particularly pleasant reading, I think it'll definitely be interesting.

How to Say Goodbye in Robot - Natalie Standiford

Published:
October 1st 2009 by Scholastic Press

Summary (from Goodreads): New to town, Bea is expecting her new best friend to be one of the girls she meets on the first day. But instead, the alphabet conspires to seat her next to Jonah, aka Ghost Boy, a quiet loner who hasn't made a new friend since third grade. Something about him, though, gets to Bea, and soon they form an unexpected friendship. It's not romance, exactly - but it's definitely love. Still, Bea can't quite dispel Jonah's gloom and doom - and as she finds out his family history, she understands why. Can Bea help Jonah? Or is he destined to vanish?

Why it's on my wishlist: I was initially drawn to this one because of the cover but, as I've learned more about it, I really want to find out more about the story. Bea sounds like a great character so I'm looking forward to getting this one soon.

*

(Note: Apologies if somebody has already coined this feature title but I honestly couldn’t think of anything else more appropriate – if you named a feature ‘On My Wishlist’ and want me to credit you or change mine then just let me know!)

1 comment:

  1. I LOVED both The Chosen One and How To Say Goodbye in Robot-the latter being one of my favorites. Great choices! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you kindly for the comment, you sweet thing.