Friday, 11 February 2011

Review: Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Rodrick Rules - Jeff Kinney

Published: February 5th 2009, Puffin
Pages: 217 pages, paperback
Series?: Yes, this is the second instalment
Acquired: Kindly sent for review by Penguin

Summary (from Goodreads): Secrets have a way of getting out, especially when a diary is involved.

Whatever you do, don’t ask Greg Heffley how he spent his summer vacation, because he definitely doesn’t want to talk about it.


As Greg enters the new school year, he’s eager to put the past three months behind him . . . and one event in particular.
Unfortunately for Greg, his older brother, Rodrick, knows all about the incident Greg wants to keep under wraps. But secrets have a way of getting out . . . especially when a diary is involved.

Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Rodrick Rules chronicles Greg’s attempts to navigate the hazards of middle school, impress the girls, steer clear of the school talent show, and most important, keep his secret safe.

My review: I read the first book in the Diary of a Wimpy Kid series last year and loved it. I’m a big fan of diary style books and Jeff Kinney’s international best selling series is right up my street when I’m in the mood for something fun and stress free.

I know that I’ll always enjoy the Diary of a Wimpy Kid books so it’s a relief to sit down with one of them, knowing I’m in for a good time. In this second instalment we learn more about Greg and our favourite characters and see Greg trying his hardest to keep his deep, dark secret…about the Cheese Touch (but shhh, it’s a secret).

I can absolutely see why younger readers are obsessed with these books – I know I definitely would have been if I’d had these books when I was younger. They’re hilarious but heart warming and I can’t get enough of them. I haven’t watched the Diary of a Wimpy Kid film yet but I’m really excited to – have any of you seen it?

The third, fourth and fifth instalments in the series are already out (titled The Last Straw, Dog Days and The Ugly Truth, respectively) and I can’t actually see that there are any plans for a sixth book so maybe I’ll have to read the next three a little slower to keep my Diary of a Wimpy Kid fix going for longer!

First line: ‘I guess Mom was pretty proud of herself for making me write in that journal last year, because now she went and bought me another one.’

Rating:
Plot: 4/5
Writing: 4/5
Characters: 4/5
Cover: 4/5
Total: 16/20 (B+)

1 comment:

  1. One of my girls absolutely loves these books to bits. She isn't really a child who likes to read a lot, so to find a series that she adores has been wonderful.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you kindly for the comment, you sweet thing.