Thursday, 31 March 2011

Review: Click Here - Denise Vega

Published: April 2006, Little, Brown
Pages: 211 pages, paperback
Series?: Yes, this is the first installment
Acquired: Kindly sent for review by the publisher

Summary (from Goodreads): Imagine if all your personal thoughts about crushes, fears, enemies, and even kissing practice ended up on the internet for everyone to read! That's what happens to Erin Swift when her secret blog lands on the school Web site. As if navigating the treacherous waters of seventh grade weren't enough!

Writing with warm, knowing humour, first-time novelist Denise Vega perfectly captures life from a seventh grade girl's point of view.

My review: So I mentioned in my review of Undiscovered Gyrl that I was hoping to read more books that centred about blogs - that reminded me that I still needed to review Click Here, which I actually read a little while ago. While Click Here does centre around a blog, it's probably the polar opposite to the dirty, edgy story of Undiscovered Gyrl. Click Here is a story as sweet and innocent as they come and I did really enjoy it.

It's a middle grade novel, so a little younger than I usually read but it was well written and I was impressed with Vega's characterisation of Erin and her classmates, who were all really well formed. Erin was a sweet protagonist and I really, really felt for her when the action kicks off in the last quarter of the novel - nightmare!

I wasn't so sure about Jilly, to be honest. We all had a friend like her when we were teenagers, a girl who is boy crazy and will drop her friends in a second to get a milkshake with the boy she likes. Frustrating, to say the least. As Jilly gets more and more boy crazy and Erin gets more and more irritated... well, you can see where the tension comes from in Click Here. I loved that Vega tackled this issue because, while it's often talked about in middle grade fiction, I think it's particularly well handled here.

This is such a fun read and I know any young teenage girl would absolutely adore it. It's a great story about growing up and friendship - definitely recommended for younger teens.

First line: 'This is the totally secret and private home page of Erin Penelope Swift.'

Read if you liked…: Cherry Crush - Cathy Cassidy

Rating:
Plot: 4/5
Writing: 3/5
Characters: 4/5
Cover: 3/5
Total: 14/20 (B)

Alternative cover:

4 comments:

  1. I haven't read any books based around blogs so this one intrigues me. I think my girls might like it too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the first cover much better.
    And it sounds like a really cute book!
    I'm going to add it to my list!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the sound of this! Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a great one for the school library - thanks for brining it to my attention

    ReplyDelete

Thank you kindly for the comment, you sweet thing.