Thursday, 10 March 2011

Review: Love in Mid Air - Kim Wright

Published: 2011, Allen and Unwin
Pages: 312 pages, paperback
Series?: No
Acquired: Kindly sent for review by the publisher

Summary (from Goodreads): A chance encounter with a stranger in an airplane sends Elyse Bearden into an emotional tailspin. Suddenly, Elyse is willing to risk everything: her safe but stale marriage, her seemingly perfect life in an affluent Southern suburb, and her position in the church.

As Elyse embarks on a risky affair, her longtime friend Kelly and the other women in their book club begin to question their own decisions about love, sex, marriage, and freedom. In the end it will take an extraordinary leap of faith for Elyse to find--and follow--her own path to happiness.

My review: I have to admit that when I received a copy of Love in Mid Air to review, I already thought I knew exactly what would happen. I thought it would be standard chick lit – beautiful but unconfident woman bumps into gorgeous, rich, successful man who falls head over heels for her and all’s well that ends well. However, what I got was something unexpected and something much more real.

Our heroine Elyse is trundling along with her life, seemingly happy but not really living to her full potential. She feels as though things are becoming stale between herself and her husband but does nothing about it until she meets a stranger on a plane who changes her life.

After spending years saying ‘no’ to any opportunity for excitement, Elyse begins to say ‘yes’ and embarks on a journey that will change her life forever. But will it be for the best or is Elyse chasing an unrealistic dream?

What I really enjoyed about Love in Mid Air is that it isn’t predictable and it isn’t as shiny and perfect as a lot of chick lit. Things don’t just fall into place for Elyse and she doesn’t get everything handed to her on a plate. There are some uncomfortable moments in the book (not just with Elyse but with all of the women involved) and it was a real change to read something that felt true to life.

I’ve been increasingly reluctant to read chick lit recently, purely based on the fact I was sick of reading unrealistic stories about perfect women who end up with perfect men without a care in the world. I’m pleased to say that Love in Mid Air is a real breath of fresh air (overuse of the word ‘air’ there, sorry) and the story is definitely so much more than the chick lit package of the book suggests.

First line: ‘I wasn’t meant to sit beside him.’

Rating:
Plot: 4/5
Writing: 3/5
Characters: 3/5
Cover: 4/5
Total: 14/20 (B)

3 comments:

  1. This sounds like a good read!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreed sounds interesting. Surprised I haven't heard of this one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brilliant! I love when things don't magically fall into place. That's part of what bugs me about chick lit. Great review!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you kindly for the comment, you sweet thing.