Monday, 7 March 2011

Review: Low Red Moon - Ivy Devlin

Published: February 7th 2011, Bloomsbury
Pages: 244 pages, paperback
Series?: Nope!
Acquired: Kindly sent for review by Bloomsbury (also received a copy through Good Golly Miss Holly's blog tours)

Summary (from Goodreads): The only thing Avery Hood can remember about the night her parents died is that she saw silver—deadly silver, moving inhumanly fast. As much as she wants to remember who killed them, she can't, and there's nothing left to do but try to piece her life back together.

Then Avery meets the new boy in school—Ben, mysterious and beautiful, with whom she feels a connection like nothing she's ever experienced.

When Ben reveals he's a werewolf, Avery still trusts him—at first. Then she sees that sometimes his eyes flash inhuman silver. And she learns that she's not the only one who can't remember the night her parents died. Part murder mystery, part grief narrative, and part heart-stopping, headlong romance, Low Red Moon is a must-read for teen paranormal fans.

As breathless as Twilight and as spooky as Shiver, this is a book to be devoured in one sitting—by an acclaimed YA author making her paranormal debut under the pseudonym Ivy Devlin.

My review: Hooray! A paranormal standalone! Now, you all know I’m not the hugest paranormal romance fan in the world (understatement) but I was promised Low Red Moon is much more about plot and characters than it is about the sexy, stereotypical hero (who may or may not sparkle) and the heroine who falls for him. On that promise I decided to give this one a try and they were absolutely right.

Of course, romance is an integral part of almost any YA novel so it was present in Low Red Moon. Avery and Ben are instantly attracted to each other, which did have me sighing in a frustrated and ‘here we go again’ manner but there was something charming about their relationship that I found to be truer to life than a lot of paranormal romance pairings. Phew!

The murder mystery element of Low Red Moon is something I loved and I think it’s what makes the book so great – it’s not something commonly found in YA fiction so it was nice to see something a little different being explored.

Avery is a really great protagonist – I clicked with her immediately and really wanted her to find happiness. The sadness in her narrative when she talks about her parents is brilliantly written and I genuinely felt for her. Her inner monologues definitely help to give the book a certain depth which I really enjoyed.

Oh, also I have to stop and do a little squeal about the writer behind the pseudonym Ivy Devlin – eeeeeee! Exciting!

Anyway, back to business. The whole ‘As breathless as Twilight and as spooky as Shiver’ claim really grated on me. Generally I hate these comparisons anyway as they are so rarely correct and normally just leave me disappointed. To be honest, comparing a book to Twilight is enough to make me sling it across the room in a rage and, although I loved Shiver, I think the ‘spooky’ elements of Low Red Moon were much more developed. In fact, are there any ‘spooky’ moments in Shiver? I don’t recall anyway. Plus, ‘spooky’ is just a bad word to use to describe the chilling, unsettling moments in Low Red Moon. Rant over.

I really did enjoy Low Red Moon and it surprised me – a well written paranormal romance with a love story that didn’t leave me frustrated and angry, could it be? Though, when you look at who the writer is it isn’t really a surprise, is it?

First line: ‘I was covered in blood when the police found me.’

Read if you liked…: 13 to Life – Shannon Delany

Rating:
Plot: 5/5
Writing: 4/5
Characters: 3/5
Cover: 4/5
Total: 16/20 (B+)

Alternative covers:

4 comments:

  1. This one surprised me as well, even though it shouldn't have done? I think the author can do just about what she likes and it'd be OK by me :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, I'm so glad to see that you loved this book. I've seen a lot of mixed reviews for this one, but frankly, I still want to read it. Great review Carly - you've got me even more excited about reading this now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Paranormal standalone! Say no more!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been waiting to read a review on this one - I also have been torn. I'm putting it on my to-read list right now!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you kindly for the comment, you sweet thing.