Tuesday, 29 March 2011

Review: My Soul to Save - Rachel Vincent

Published: February 18th 2011, Mira
Pages: 362 pages, paperback
Series?: Yes, this is the second installment. Book three (My Soul to Keep) is due out this April
Acquired: Kindly sent for review by the publisher

Summary (from Goodreads): The last thing Kaylee needs right now is to be skipping school, breaking her dad’s ironclad curfew and putting her boyfriend’s loyalty to the test. But starry-eyed teens are trading their souls for a flickering lifetime of fame and fortune in exchange for eternity in the Netherworld — a consequence they can’t possibly understand. Kaylee can’t let that happen, even if trying to save their souls means putting her own at risk...

My review: Earlier in the year I received the first installment in the Soul Screamers series and really enjoyed it. After the huge cliffhanger at the end of My Soul to Take I was really excited to read My Soul to Save and I know so many of you were too. This series has definitely made a big splash in the YA world and I can see why - the story is unique, the writing exciting and the romantic scenes are scorching.

My Soul to Save has a different tone to My Soul to Take and I wasn't quite as convinced by it, unfortunately. I did definitely enjoy this one but it was a little more action-based rather than driven by the plot, which is something I loved about the first book. My other quibble is that we didn't get to see the characters develop much beyond what we saw in My Soul to Take. I do like Kaylee and her relationship with Nash but I'd still like to get to know a little more about them both. For me they just came across a little lifeless.

Where I felt let down by Kaylee and Nash I really loved Addison - she's a new character who we're introduced to in chapter one and I think she's brilliant. I won't give away too much about her situation but it's certainly a difficult one - she becomes the centre of the story as Kaylee and Tod fight to save her. Exciting stuff!

While I did criticise the action earlier on in this review I have to admit it was really well written - the pace in the action scenes was perfect and Vincent's sentence structure is fantastic. I just wish Vincent had spent a little more time on the story in this installment as I don't think My Soul to Save quite lived up to the hype of the first book - I am still keen to read the third book in the series to learn a little more about Kaylee and co.

If you've read this one let me know what you think - did you enjoy it more or less than My Soul to Take?

First line: 'Addison Page had the world at her feet.'

Read if you liked…: Paranormalcy - Kiersten White

Rating:
Plot: 4/5
Writing: 3/5
Characters: 3/5
Cover: 4/5
Total: 14/20

Alternative covers:


4 comments:

  1. I must get hold of the first one of these to read. The series will overtake me before I even get started!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love both of the alternate covers! Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved this one just as much as the first, think the plot was really entertaining and timely and would recommend it for sure if you liked My Soul to Take.

    Mariz
    Great data for Maryland Locksmith

    ReplyDelete

Thank you kindly for the comment, you sweet thing.