Friday, 22 April 2011

Review: Chime - Franny Billingsley

Published: April 4th 2011, Bloomsbury
Pages: 361 pages, paperback
Acquired: Kindly sent for review by Bloomsbury

Summary (from Goodreads): In the early twentieth century in Swansea, Wales, seventeen-year-old Briony, who can see the spirits that haunt the marshes around their town, feels responsible for her twin sister’s horrible injury until a young man enters their lives and exposes secrets that even Briony does not know about.

My review: Okay, Chime had me gripped from the first sentence - wow. It's probably one of my favourite opening lines ever. I'd casually flipped through the first couple of pages to see if I fancied Chime and after reading that line, I knew I had to read it there and then. From the fantastic opening line onwards, Billingsley's writing just gets better and better. The imagery she uses is beautiful and there are quotable passages on every single page which made Chime an absolute joy to read.

Briony feels constant guilt for her sister's accident and continually rejects her witch side - she's a pastor's daughter and tries to maintain a good, kind front at all times. However, as her 'wickedness' grows she finds it more and more difficult to hide who she really is and when gorgeous, wild Eldric shows up that's when everything kicks up a notch.

Paranormal fans will just eat this one up. I'm usually one to recoil from anything labelled 'paranormal romance' but I couldn't help but be completely absorbed by Briony's world and Billingsley's beautiful way with words. It's definitely the writing that drives this novel forward and it is gorgeous. I do think it sometimes overshadows the plot from time to time, especially as the novel draws towards a close but if you're big on beautiful language then this one's for you.

I haven't read any of Billingsley's work before but after reading Chime I'll definitely be looking out for more of her books and if you want to read Chime yourself, scroll down for a chance to win a copy!

First line: 'I've confessed to everything and I'd like to be hanged.'

Read if you liked…: Reckless - Cornelia Funke

Rating:
Plot: 3/5
Writing: 4/5
Characters: 3/5
Cover: 4/5
Total: 14/20 (B)

Bloomsbury have kindly provided me with a copy of Chime to give away to one of my readers so if you're interested in reading this fab book for yourself enter below!

Click here to enter but do have a read of the rules first :).

Rules:

- This one is a UK only giveaway so I'm sorry to my international readers but I'll you another international giveaway soon, promise!

- The contest will run from today (22/4/11) until next Friday (29/4/11) and will close at midnight (London time)

- I'll email the winner to notify them so please make sure the email address you leave is correct

- If I don't receive a response from the winner in 72 hours I'll choose another winner

- Please check out the privacy policy at the top of the page if you have any concerns about Internet safety and data protection.

- Following is appreciated but not essential by any means

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you kindly for the comment, you sweet thing.