Thursday, 7 April 2011

Review: The Dark Divine - Bree Despain

Published: December 22nd 2009, Egmont
Pages: 372 pages, paperback
Series?: Yes, The Lost Saint is the second book in the series
Acquired: Kindly sent for review by the publisher

Summary (from Goodreads): A Prodigal Son

A Dangerous Love

A Deadly Secret


Grace Divine—daughter of the local pastor—always knew something terrible happened the night Daniel Kalbi disappeared and her brother Jude came home covered in his own blood.

Now that Daniel's returned, Grace must choose between her growing attraction to him and her loyalty to her brother.

As Grace gets closer to Daniel, she learns the truth about that mysterious night and how to save the ones she loves, but it might cost her the one thing she cherishes most: her soul.


My review: The Dark Divine is an interesting novel. Whether you enjoy the book or not (and I seem to be one of the only people who ended it with a bit of a 'meh' feeling - people seem to be adore it or hate it) it definitely brings something new to the table when it comes to paranormal romance.

I have say, there are a few 'standard' paranormal romance elements to The Dark Divine: we have Daniel - the 'bad boy', Lucy - the well behaved, innocent protagonist and her overbearing family. Of course, no paranormal romance would be complete without an achingly complicated love story. Check.

However, aside from the cliches listed above, there are a few bits and pieces in The Dark Divine that make it really stand out from the pack (no pun intended) and I was impressed by its originality, when it could easily have come off as your stereotypical werewolf novel.

The mythology surrounding the werewolves was really interesting and I'm keen to read The Lost Saint just to find out more. Lucy's relationship with her family (particular with her pastor father) was something I loved reading about - her transformation from 'butter wouldn't melt good girl' to who she is by the end of the novel was brilliant.

I still haven't made my mind up about The Dark Divine. There were parts of it that I loved and parts that felt so cliched I couldn't help but groan. Definitely read it for yourself and let me know your reaction - I'll be interested to see what you all think.

First line: 'Blood fills my mouth.'

Rating:
Plot: 4/5
Writing: 3/5
Characters: 3/5
Cover: 4/5
Total: 14/20 (B)

1 comment:

  1. This one has been sitting on my TBR shelves for awhile because I've heard mixed things about it. As I'm in one of my anti-paranormal moods at the moment, I think it shall sit there for awhile longer!

    Thanks for the heads-up about cliches littering this book, that can be quite annoying.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you kindly for the comment, you sweet thing.