Wednesday, 20 April 2011

Review: Getting Revenge on Lauren Wood - Eileen Cook

Published: January 5th 2010, Simon Pulse
Pages: 261 pages, paperback
Series?: Nope, standalone (though I'd love a sequel!)
Acquired: Purchased myself (after pining for it for months and months)

Summary (from Goodreads): Popularity is the best revenge.

In the final weeks of eighth grade, Lauren Wood made a choice. She betrayed her best friend, Helen, in a manner so publicly humiliating that Helen had to move to a new town just to save face. Ditching Helen was worth it, though, because Lauren started high school as one of the It Girls--and now, at the start of her senior year, she's the cheerleading captain, the quarterback's girlfriend, and the undisputed queen bee. Lauren has everything she's ever wanted, and she has forgotten all about her ex-best friend.


But Helen could never forget Lauren. After three years of obsessing, she's moving back to her old town. She has a new name and a new look, but she hasn’t dropped her old grudges. She has a detailed plan to bring down her former BFF by taking away everything that's ever been important to Lauren—starting with her boyfriend.


Watch out, Lauren Wood. Things are about to get bitchy.


My review: I don't think I've ever read a book that I've hyped up as much as Getting Revenge on Lauren Wood. When I started blogging this was one of the first books that I saw reviewed and I became absolutely obsessed. However, as it hadn't been released in the UK it was too expensive for me to ship over from the US but I was desperate for it. I asked for it for my birthday, I asked for it for Christmas but to no avail. In the end I snapped - I had to have it. I ordered it from The Book Depository (yay for free delivery) and didn't even care about the cost by that stage. So it's fair to say I would have been more than disappointed if I didn't love this book. Luckily, I adored it.

Getting Revenge on Lauren Wood is an absolute joy to read. It's perfectly crafted - the ultimate contemporary YA and I cannot recommend it highly enough. If you enjoy fun, light hearted reads then you will love this book, I guarantee it. If you've ever wanted revenge on anybody I know you'll find a kindred spirit in Helen, who I immediately began rooting for. Sure, sometimes you can see a twinge of cruelty in her personality that rivals her nemesis but she's good at her core and that shines through.

Helen, Christopher and Brenda were all great - especially Brenda, who was the voice of reason at all times. I'd love to see what happened to her after the story finished. In fact, I'd love to see what happened to all of the characters are the story finished but I have to say, I think Cook finished the novel just in the right place. I was gagging for a few more chapters but I love that I got to make my own mind up about what happened - just brilliant.

Lauren is a piece of work but she's the ultimate mean girl, move aside Regina George! I loved her band of minions, especially when they began to rebel but for Kyla and Bailey the Mean Girls saying really rings true - it's better to be in the Plastics, hating life, than to not be in at all.

I can rave and rave as much as I want but I definitely won't be able to do this book justice. I read the entire thing in a couple of hours with a huge smile on my face and it's definitely leaped straight to the top of my contemporary favourites (maybe joint with The Sky is Everywhere...).

Cook is an absolute genius and I can't wait to read the rest of her books - now go and buy a copy of Getting Revenge on Lauren Wood, do it! You need to read this one (as I did) laying out in the sunshine with your shades on a cocktail within reach. Perfect.

First line: 'Last night I dreamed I discussed Lauren Wood in Earth Sciences class.'

Read if you like…: Genuinely, if you enjoy any contemporary YA you will love Getting Revenge on Lauren Wood

Rating:
Plot: 5/5
Writing: 4/5
Characters: 4/5
Cover: 5/5 (genius)
Total: 18/20 (A)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you kindly for the comment, you sweet thing.