Wednesday, 13 April 2011

Review: The Lying Game - Sara Shepard

Published: December 7th 2010, HarperTeen
Pages: Kindle copy
Series?: This is the first in a new series from Sara Shepard, the second installment is 'Never Have I Ever' and it's out later this year
Acquired: Obtained from Netgalley

Summary (from Goodreads): I had a life anyone would kill for.

Then someone did.

The worst part of being dead is that there’s nothing left to live for. No more kisses. No more secrets. No more gossip. It’s enough to kill a girl all over again. But I’m about to get something no one else does—an encore performance, thanks to Emma, the long-lost twin sister I never even got to meet.

Now Emma’s desperate to know what happened to me. And the only way to figure it out is to be me—to slip into my old life and piece it all together. But can she laugh at inside jokes with my best friends? Convince my boyfriend she’s the girl he fell in love with? Pretend to be a happy, carefree daughter when she hugs my parents good night? And can she keep up the charade, even after she realizes my murderer is watching her every move?

My review: This is the first novel I've read by Sara Shepard but I loved it - I'll definitely be checking out the Pretty Little Liars series in the near future. I flew through The Lying Game in a couple of sittings and couldn't believe the cliff hanger at the end of the book - I swear somebody told me this was a standalone! However, there are another three books in the series and I can't wait!

The Lying Game will absorb you from the Saw-esque opening right through until the final page. Shepard's characters are utterly comptelling and I can really see this working as a TV show, a la Pretty Little Liars. Everybody in The Lying Game is beautiful, everybody is rich and, although you may envy them for their perfect bodies and lives of excess, you won't be able to tear your eyes away from the page.

I think it's fair to say that I suspected every single character of Sutton's murder and I still have absolutely no idea who the murderer is - usually with a mystery I can figure out who the culprit is but Shepard has weaved such a tangled plot that I genuinely couldn't begin to guess, which just makes me all the more desperate to get hold of the second installment!

If you're a fan of YA novels full of pool parties, gorgeous clothes and full-blown deceit then The Lying Game is definitely for you. Anybody who's already read this one - how do you think it compares to the Pretty Little Liars series? Let me know :).

First line: 'I woke up in a dingy claw-foot bathtub in an unfamiliar pink-tiled bathroom.'

Read if you liked…: Pretty Little Liars - Sara Shepard

Rating:
Plot: 5/5
Writing: 3/5
Characters: 4/5
Cover: 4/5
Total: 16/20 (B+)

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for a fantastic review. I want to read this, it sounds like an interesting story.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you kindly for the comment, you sweet thing.