Tuesday, 12 April 2011

Review: Move - Conor Kostick

Published: September 22nd 2008, O'Brien
Pages: 221 pages, paperback
Acquired: Kindly sent for review by the publisher

Summary (from Goodreads): Everything comes with a price...What if you could live in a universe where you were always the winner? Pushed to his limits by a horrific accident, Liam discovers he has an amazing ability: he can 'move' to parallel universes where things always turn out just the way he wants. But every time he moves the fabric the metaverse begins to tear. And something evil begins to find its way in.

My review: From reading the summary, I thought Move was going to be a little like the 2009 movie, Jumper and the premise is fairly similar, though the story was completely different. While Move isn't the most exciting novel I'd read this year, it was entertaining and I'd recommend it to younger teens who were fans of Kevin Brooks' iBoy.

Set in Dublin, Move is the story of Liam - a teenage boy who can jump from parallel universe to parallel universe. However, the more he 'moves' the more he realises that things aren't quite right and eventually the drama really kicks off when a hole in the metaverse (caused by Liam's 'moving') lets in an evil that threatens to destroy everything Liam holds dear.

Sounds exciting, right? Well, the excitement never quite builds to the heights I hoped it would. The action is well written and engaging but I never experienced the racing thrill I thought I would - maybe it was because I didn't bond very well with Liam but I just didn't really care what happened to the characters. They were all very nice and pleasant but that was it - I was aware the whole time I was reading that it was a story and I wasn't able to get lost in the words the way I love to.

So, I wasn't a huge fan of Move, I'm sorry to say. It had the potential to be a brilliant story but, for me, the characters weren't quite well developed enough and the writing not quite as exciting as I'd hoped.

First line: 'The first time I 'moved', I had no control over it.'

Read if you liked…: iBoy - Kevin Brooks

Rating:
Plot: 3/5
Writing: 3/5
Characters: 3/5
Cover: 4/5
Total: 13/20 (C)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you kindly for the comment, you sweet thing.