Monday, 11 April 2011

Review: Slice of Cherry - Dia Reeves

Published: January 4th 2011, Simon Pulse
Pages: 505 pages, hardback
Series?: Standalone...as far as I know!
Acquired: Purchased myself

Summary (from Goodreads): Kit and Fancy Cordelle are sisters of the best kind: best friends, best confidantes, and best accomplices. The daughters of the infamous Bonesaw Killer, Kit and Fancy are used to feeling like outsiders, and that’s just the way they like it. But in Portero, where the weird and wild run rampant, the Cordelle sisters are hardly the oddest or most dangerous creatures around.

It’s no surprise when Kit and Fancy start to give in to their deepest desire—the desire to kill. What starts as a fascination with slicing open and stitching up quickly spirals into a gratifying murder spree. Of course, the sisters aren’t killing just anyone, only the people who truly deserve it. But the girls have learned from the mistakes of their father, and know that a shred of evidence could get them caught. So when Fancy stumbles upon a mysterious and invisible doorway to another world, she opens a door to endless possibilities…

My review: I knew I'd love this novel from the word go. Reeves says on her Twitter bio that 'I write YA novels that make people feel squicky inside' and that's an absolutely spot on description of how Slice of Cherry made me feel. Squicky indeed - but in the best possible way. There is blood and gore galore in this fantastically entertaining hunk of a book but I guarantee you'll be unable to turn away from Fancy and Kit's adventures.

Fancy and Kit themselves are two of the best parts of Slice of Cherry. The girls share a relationship that teeters just on the edge of creepy every now and then and, while they couldn't be less alike, they're determined that nothing will tear them apart. But when Kit takes an interest in loyal boy, Gabriel, Fancy slowly begins to realise that she may not always be the centre of her sister's world.

Slice of Cherry is absolutely crammed full of twists and turns that will have you reeling - especially when it comes to the mysterious brothers, whose father was murdered by Kit and Fancy's imprisoned father, known as the 'Bonesaw Killer'. Of course, Kit and Fancy have picked up his murderous streak and their blood splattered exploits are scattered throughout the novel. While none of the violence is gratuitous or poorly written (in fact, I thought it was extremely well written) it is present so I wouldn't recommend this one to younger readers.

I really don't have a bad word to say about Slice of Cherry. The story never dips for a moment and, despite the book's sizable length, I wasn't bored for a second. The extracts from Fancy's Dream Diary are absolutely brilliant and I urge all of you to give Slice of Cherry a go - I loved it.

First line: 'Daddy stood at the front door screaming for Kit and me to let him in.'

Rating:
Plot: 4/5
Writing: 5/5
Characters: 4/5
Cover: 4/5
Total: 17/20 (A)

5 comments:

  1. This is only a kind of stand alone. The first book about the town is Bleeding Violet. I'm glad you liked this book. I have it sitting on my shelf but because of bad reviews I've read for it, I haven't actually read the book yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Dia Reeves and Bleeding Violet is awesome. It is kind of strange and bizarre, not a lot of books in the YA rival it on creepiness and squick factor, but I definitely recommend that book if you want something outside the ordinary.

    I still haven't read Slice of Cherry yet though. I'm waiting for my library to carry it, but I might just buy it when I get some money. It sounds really good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahhh.. I really want to read this book now. Squicky, that's a great word. this one sounds fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  4. this book has been on my wishlist for months now but keep forgetting about it! I might have to push it back up to the top again though because you've made me want to read it even more! x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you kindly for the comment, you sweet thing.