Wednesday, 25 May 2011

Review: Inside Out - Maria V. Snyder

Published: January 1st 2011, Mira Ink
Pages: 315 pages, paperback
Series?: Yes, this is book one. Book two (Outside In) is out now
Acquired: Kindly sent for review

Summary (from Goodreads): Keep your head down. Don't get noticed. Or else. I'm Trella. I'm a scrub. A nobody. One of thousands who work the lower levels, keeping Inside clean for the Uppers. I've got one friend, do my job and try to avoid the Pop Cops.

So what if I occasionally use the pipes to sneak around the Upper levels? Not like it's all that dangerous - the only neck at risk is my own. Until I accidentally start a rebellion and become the go-to girl to lead a revolution...

My review: Wow, Snyder likes her world building, doesn't she? It seems like every one of her novels that I pick up is set in a new universe that she's clearly put so much time into crafting.

While I can't help but be impressed at the sheer amount of description of Trella's world, I do think it could have been spread a little more evenly through the book. I felt that there was so much description in the first third or so that I was begging for a bit of action to break things up a bit. However, once the pace picked up and the plot began to unfold I began to enjoy Inside Out a lot more.

It was lacking a little something, though. I didn't particularly bond with Trella so I didn't feel very invested in the story. Once I'd started I did want to continue to see what happened to Trella and the others (especially Riley, who I loved) but I'm not convinced I'll continue on with this series, not right away anyway.

There are so many positive reviews of Inside Out so I definitely seem to be in the minority with my thoughts. I did enjoy it and I'm sure dystopia fans will adore it - I just felt like the sparkle was missing.

First line: 'A vibration rippled through my body.'

Read if you liked…: The Declaration - Gemma Malley

Rating:
Plot: 4/5
Writing: 3/5
Characters: 3/5
Cover: 4/5
Total: 14/20 (B)

3 comments:

  1. It is the fact that it is dystopian that I feel drawn to this book. I am sorry you didn't love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm in the minority for not loving Inside Out aswell. Which is strange because it hits all the marks for the sort of book that I'd love. As you said, there was just something missing for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Readers should be aware: This novel contains minor usage of curse words. As well as minimal kissing and talk of sexual acts, which pertains to inner workings Terella's world. The novel also contains a far amount of violence.

    Marlene
    Info site forJohnson City SEO

    ReplyDelete

Thank you kindly for the comment, you sweet thing.