Tuesday, 31 May 2011

Review: The Secret Society of the Pink Crystal Ball - Risa Green

Published: September 14th 2010, Sourcebooks Fire
Pages: 315 pages, paperback
Series?: Nope, standalone
Acquired: Kindly sent for review

Summary (from Goodreads): In a world where nothing is certain, a little magic couldn't hurt...right?

When Erin Channing's favorite aunt dies, Erin is bequeathed a pink crystal ball and a set of weird instructions. Granted, Aunt Kiki (aka Aunt Kooky) always lived "outside the box." But now Erin and her two best friends are convinced that the pink crystal ball holds the key to their future-or at least the key to getting dates...

Consider Your Fate to Be Sealed . . .

Absolute knowledge is not unlimited; let the planets be your guide to the number.

There are sixteen ways to die, but four of them you will never see.

The future belongs to you alone. Other voices will be disappointed.

One rotation is as far as you can see. Only uncertainty lies beyond.

My review: The Secret Society of the Pink Crystal Ball is SUCH a sweet novel. Honestly, it had me smiling the whole way through - any middle grade fans are absolutely going to adore this one. This is the perfect summer read; lighthearted, funny with a host of lovely characters. Definitely think about picking this one up.

This is a quick read and suitable to read in a single sitting. The pacing is consistent throughout and I didn't find my attention dipping in the middle, as it often does with middle grade fiction. There is a little bit of a love story in this book but it doesn't overtake things and it's all very sweet, which I really liked. There is a lot more emphasis on Erin's relationship with her friends and I think that's much more important in middle grade novels, so yay for that!

The crystal ball that falls into Erin's possession after her aunt dies is what drives the plot forward and I loved the mystery that surrounded the set of directions that were left for Erin to figure out - it reminded me a little of 13 Little Blue Envelopes (Maureen Johnson) but I did actually prefer The Secret Society of the Pink Crystal Ball as nothing felt very forced.

I was impressed with Green's writing and am sure she'll go on to do great things. I'll definitely be keeping an eye out for her next book.

First line: 'Things about me that might, in some alternative universe, be interesting enough for the committee of tenth grade teafchers to pick me for the AP Art History trip to Italy...'

Rating:
Plot: 4/5
Writing: 3/5
Characters: 3/5
Cover: 4/5
Total: 14/20 (B)

3 comments:

  1. Not heard of this one but have now added it to my wishlist.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This book just looks so cute! :) Thanks for the review

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoyed reading this book. I love how Erin usually lives inside the box, but must make her way out of her comfort zone courtesy of a pink crystal ball. She must take risks and enjoy the consequences. Erin deals with friendship drama, bullies, school work, and a potential boyfriend all while navigating through life.

    Mariz
    One Hour Device

    ReplyDelete

Thank you kindly for the comment, you sweet thing.