Monday, 23 May 2011

Review: Sequins, Stars and Spotlights - Sophia Bennett

*Please note this is the third book in the series so there may be minor spoilers for the first two books below*

Published: February 7th 2011, Chicken House
Pages: 323 pages, paperback
Series?: Yes, this is the third and final installment.
Acquired: Kindly sent for review by the publisher

Summary (from Goodreads): Four girls have four dreams. Crow is on the way to becoming an international fashion designer. Jenny's been discovered by a Broadway composer. Edie still wants to go to Harvard. Nonie ...isn't really sure, but knows it's something fashion-related and wonderful. They're growing up and on the brink of glittering careers. So why are their lives so complicated? Why does success demand sacrifices, and which ones are they willing to make?

In this, the final book of "The Threads trilogy", Nonie discovers that life is just beginning. The girls have choices to make. Who will wait for fame? Who will emerge an outright star? Who will fall in love? And who will turn her back on all her dreams? This time the answers are in New York. It's a long way for Nonie to travel, especially with only one teeny-weeny wheelie bag. But for the sake of her friendships, Nonie will do whatever it takes.

My review: What a way to end the series! As I said in my review of Beads, Boys and Bangles - Threads is definitely one of my favourite YA series. Whenever I pick up one of the books I feel like I can snuggle down on my sofa and get lost in Nonie's extremely stylish world. I know I'm in for a good time when I open anything written by Sophia Bennett and she's definitely one of my go-tos when I need a little literary pick me up.

Sequins, Stars and Spotlights is a little bit longer than Beads, Boys and Bangles (sixty pages or so) and I do think this final book needed the extra word count to really end things properly. It's just such a wonderful way to end a brilliant series - all of the questions I needed answered were adequately dealt with but there was just enough left unsaid that I could draw a few of my own conclusions. Perfect!

Our favourite four girls just get better and better as this series progresses and we see them each have to make extremely difficult decisions in this book - I love how we always see such a human side of each of the girls and they're some of the most three dimensional and realistic teenage characters I've come across in a long time.

As always, Crow and Edie help shed some light on important issues that affect so many people in our world today - I love that Bennett manages to raise these issues without ever sounding preachy, they always have a reason for being raised in the book so nothing sounds forced. In this installment I thought the issues raised were particularly important and I really like that there's a little section at the back of the book that tells you what you can do to help. Lovely stuff.

Sequins, Stars and Spotlights is my favourite of the three books - though I do love them all. It's such a great end to the series and I challenge all of you to pick up this series now if you haven't yet. I promise you'll love it. It will make you laugh, it will make you cry and it'll remind you of all the things that make British YA fiction so great.

First line: 'I'm sitting in the back row of a mega-tent in Paris, surrounded by fashion students, buyers, editors and movie stars, and watching THE MOST BEAUTIFUL CATWALK SHOW I WILL EVER SEE IN MY LIFE.'

Rating:
Plot: 5/5
Writing: 4/5
Characters: 4/5
Cover: 5/5
Total: 18/20 (A)

1 comment:

  1. I just got these in the school library - tbh I think my 8yo would adore them. She loves fashion - even though het attempts with her socks are disasterous lol

    ReplyDelete

Thank you kindly for the comment, you sweet thing.