Monday, 6 June 2011

Interview: Daisy Whitney (The Mockingbirds)

So today I have Daisy Whitney here at Writing from the Tub, talking about her life as a writer and her newest novel, The Mockingbirds. Without further ado, on with the interview!


1. The YA book market is a competitive place, what do you think sets The Mockingbirds apart from the pack?

Great question! I hope it's an original read and I think what sets the book apart is that it's both entertaining and an issue book. Rather than just being a book about dealing with the aftermath of a crime (in this case - date rape), The Mockingbirds shows the main character going through the process of pressing charges in a student-run justice system and how this form of speaking up helps her to heal and move on.

2. What did you hope to accomplish by writing The Mockingbirds? Do you think you have accomplished what you set out to do?

My goal was to write a book that would inspire and move teen readers. I've been fortunate to hear from a number of teens via email and Facebook who have said the book has touched them, impacted them and given them courage about standing up for themselves. I can't ask for anything more!

3. Do you think your teenage years have influenced you as a writer? If so, how?

Of course! In my case, I moved around a lot growing up and I think the experience of transitioning, making new friends, and readjusting constantly to schools and teachers and places definitely stayed with me and has helped me to understand some of the issues of constant change that teens of any generation go through.

4. There is a lot of argument within the young adult market as to what is appropriate for teens to read. Where do you stand on this matter? Do you think teens should be protected from reading about taboo subjects or do you think they should have the freedom to choose their own reads?

I believe in the freedom to choose what you read. I also believe parents should talk to their kids about what they're reading, share books and openly discuss ideas with their kids.

5. What books do you think we should be looking out for in 2011?

One of the best books I have ever read came out last fall and it's THE THINGS A BROTHER KNOWS by Dana Reinhardt. Everyone should read it! It's tremendous. Also, Gayle Forman's Where She Went - it's spectacular and just as good (maybe even better!) that her incredible book If I Stay. And in July, Suzanne Young's A Need So Beautiful comes out - loved this one too!

*

So, have any of you guys read The Mockingbirds, what did you think? It was great to speak to Daisy and I'd like to say a big thanks to her for stopping by :).

1 comment:

  1. Great interview! We love her thoughtful answers. And we totally agree (or at least Kristan does, since she's the one that read it) about THE THINGS A BROTHER KNOWS, as well as IF I STAY (which we all read and loved). Thanks to both of you for doing this!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you kindly for the comment, you sweet thing.