Thursday, 2 June 2011

Review: Rules of Attraction - Simone Elkeles

Published: April 27th 2010, Walker (US copy)
Pages: 302 pages, paperback
Series?: Yes, this is book two. The third book (Chain Reaction) is due out this August
Acquired: Kindly sent for review

Summary (from Goodreads): When Carlos Fuentes returns to America after living in Mexico for a year, he doesn’t want any part of the life his older brother, Alex, has laid out for him at a high school in Colorado . Carlos likes living his life on the edge and wants to carve his own path—just like Alex did.

Then he meets Kiara Westford. She doesn’t talk much and is completely intimidated by Carlos’ wild ways. As they get to know one another, Carlos assumes Kiara thinks she’s too good for him, and refuses to admit that she might be getting to him. But he soon realizes that being himself is exactly what Kiara needs right now.


My review: I reviewed Perfect Chemistry earlier this year and absolutely fell in love with Elkeles' addictive writing style. I was worried that Rules of Attraction wouldn't quite live up to the first in the series but, luckily, that wasn't the case.

I know this has been touched on in every single review of this series but... Seriously, those Fuentes boys. Oh my! Foxy, to say the least. Movie adaptation soon, please! Although I don't think Carlos was quite as likable as Alex I did find him to be utterly charming. I thought it was a really nice touch that Alex and Brittany cropped up in the story from time to time and I do hope that trend continues in Chain Reaction.

I thought the contrast between Carlos and Kiara was really interesting and it was great to see their relationship flourish, despite their differences. Carlos is brash, outspoken and a little vain, whereas Kiara is quiet, reserved and couldn't care less about appearances. Although things were a little fast paced, I did think their relationship developed in a realistic way - which made a nice change from the love stories in a lot of YA fiction.

The secondary characters in Rules of Attraction were great as well, especially Kiara's family. Her parents were great and Brandon was a complete sweetheart. It was nice to learn a little more about the Fuentes family as well and I enjoyed the little snippets where we got to see more of Luis, who's set to star in Chain Reaction. He does seem very different to Alex and Carlos so I'm really excited to see how his story pans out when Chain Reaction is released later this year.

First line: 'I want to live life my own terms.'

Read if you liked…: Perfect Chemistry - Simone Elkeles

Rating:
Plot: 4/5
Writing: 5/5
Characters: 4/5
Cover: 3/5
Total: 16/20 (B+)

3 comments:

  1. I loved Perfect Chemistry - I had no idea it was a series of books - Im glad the second one focuses on different characters rather than trying to continue Brittany and Alex's story, which I think was finished of perfectly in the first book :)

    This one's going on my-ever growing Goodreads TBR pile!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We just picked up PERFECT CHEMISTRY last night, after hearing so many wonderful things about it. Glad to know the sequel doesn't disappoint!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You should have the characters listed!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you kindly for the comment, you sweet thing.