Tuesday, 21 June 2011

Review: Tiger's Curse - Colleen Houck

Published: May 26th 2011, Hodder & Stoughton
Pages: 498 pages, paperback
Series?: Yes, this is book one. Book two (Tiger's Quest) is out now
Acquired: Kindly sent for review by the publisher

Summary (from Goodreads): Passion. Fate. Loyalty.

Would you risk it all to change your destiny?

The last thing 17-year old Kelsey Hayes thought she’d be doing this summer was trying to break a 300-year-old Indian curse. With a mysterious white tiger named Ren. Halfway around the world. But that’s exactly what happened.

Face-to-face with dark forces, spellbinding magic, and mystical worlds where nothing is what it seems, Kelsey risks everything to piece together an ancient prophecy that could break the curse forever.


My review: Now, Tiger's Curse is not the kind of book I'd normally pick up. A girl attempting to break a 300 year old curse, with a tiger as a sidekick? Yeah, not my kind of thing. However, the story of this series' publication is fascinating (Google it) and the early reviews were glowing, so I decided to take a look.

The world building in Tiger's Curse is just great, the mythology is so rich and I loved finding out the history behind the curse. The vast majority of the action is set in India, which I think was a risky move as one detail out of place could have ruined the story. When an author decides to set a novel in a country as culturally rich and exciting as India the description needs to be spot on - luckily it was in this case. It's clear that Houck did her research and every detail rings true, which makes for a great reading experience.

The pace in Tiger's Curse did have some problems, for me, and I think the beginning was a little slow. It did take me a good few chapters to settle into the story and it did drag somewhat in the middle - this is a chunky book so don't expect to get through it in a single sitting. However, once the action really picked up (in the final third, I'd say) I was completely engrossed until the end, which I loved, by the way.

Tiger's Curse is a truly unique novel with a wonderful story behind it and I can really see this series becoming a huge hit. Finally, I just have to add that the cover art is absolutely beautiful!

First line: 'The prisoner stood with his hands tied in front of him, tired, beaten, and filthy but with a proud back befitting his royal Indian heritage.'

Rating:
Plot: 3/5
Writing: 4/5
Characters: 3/5
Cover: 4/5
Total: 14/20 (B)

6 comments:

  1. I love this book! I have just finished Tiger's Quest and it was fabulous too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't decide whether I want to read this one. I'm put of for some reason, but then I only hear great things about it. Hmm. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really need to read this! I keep seeing great reviews for it but I am a little worried that it won't live up to my expectations especially since the author is not Indian. Glad to hear that you liked it and that the author did her research.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I got both CURSE and QUEST for review. Hope to read soon, though I'm wondering whether I'll be able to read that much, considering how much it's being compared to Twilight. Thanks for the review though!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds brilliant. A tiger side kick. Yip, getting added to the wish list :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I enjoyed the characters. They were strong and I felt things right along with them. I enjoyed the trip through India. The mythology and Goddesses were awesome. So much fun to read. And now I'm left to wait and wonder until I can read the next book in the series... Because you know the ending left me hanging!

    Mica
    Alaskan Brown Bear Hunts brooks range

    ReplyDelete

Thank you kindly for the comment, you sweet thing.