Tuesday, 12 July 2011

On Meeting Your Heroes: Lindsey Barraclough

Last Saturday (9/7/11) I was lucky enough to attend the RHCB Blogger Brunch and meet one of my literary heroes, the incomparable Lindsey Barraclough.

Lindsey's debut novel, Long Lankin, was released this year and I can confidently say that it's my book of 21011. I know we're only in July - still, I know nothing will overtake this one, for me.

You can read my review here but if you haven't read Long Lankin yet I absolutely insist that you do. It's terrifying from the outset and so beautifully written. I'm a huge horror fan and love anything creepy, so it was inevitable I'd fall in love with the book. I first heard about it in July '10 at a RHCB brunch and yearned (yes, yearned) for it for months after. I have since raved non-stop about Long Lankin and proceed to force it onto everybody I come into contact with.

Needless to say, I was extremely overexcited about meeting the talent who brought Long Lankin to life.


It's always a bit nerve wracking, meeting someone you're such a fan of, isn't it? What if they're aloof and distant? What if they brush you off or, even worse, what if they're mean to you?

I'm pleased to report that Lindsey Barraclough is one of the sweetest writers I've ever been privileged enough to meet.

Are you ready for this? She actually knew who I was. I know, right?! Just from my name, not even my blog name, my ACTUAL name.

She'd seen my review of Long Lankin. Ahhh! We laughed about my 'holy shit' freak out at the cover (check it - the hand - holy shit), talked about Essex (we're both Essex girls, naturally) and the insanely creepy Salad Fingers. I mentioned in my review how Long Lankin reminds me of Salad Fingers so Lindsey Youtubed it and agreed - there is something similar!



Not only did she sign a copy for me, she also signed one for my friend (happy birthday, Mel!) and posed for a photo. I trotted away with a signed copy of Long Lankin, feeling beyond thrilled. She knew me! Brilliant, absolutely brilliant.

Lindsey Barraclough is one lovely lady. Go and read Long Lankin. Now.

Lock the windows first.


3 comments:

  1. OMG SALAD FINGERS!!! I used to LOVE watching salad fingers' vids at college! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not even going to think about watching salad fingers - I'd only scare myself lol. It was such a great event though wasn't it & Lindsey was lovely :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Carly (and Lindsey!) for my signed copy of Long Lankin.
    I'm fast approaching the final few chapters and will be very sad when I reach the end. It's a brilliant book and I can't wait to share it with others!
    In fact, It's so fantastically creepy I now can't sleep with my window open... You all must must MUST read it to find out why! : )
    Mel x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you kindly for the comment, you sweet thing.