Tuesday, 16 August 2011

Review: The Celeb Next Door - Hilary Freeman


Published: October 1st 2010, Picadilly
Pages: 181 pages, paperback
Series?: Yes, this is book one
Acquired: Kindly sent for review by the publisher

Summary (from the back cover): Rosie has lived in Paradise Avenue, Camden Town all her life. As well as the market to hang out at and gigs to go to, there are celebrities to spot, and TV studios, where she and her best friends Sky and Vix might get noticed.

When Rosie finds out that the drummer from a chart-topping group is moving into the house next door, she makes it her mission to befriend him. But things don't turn out quite the way she expects...

My review: The first installment in the Camden Town Tales series is sure to please teenage girl readers who are fans of Luisa Plaja, Cathy Cassidy and the like. This book was harmless fun and a joy to read, perfect for the long summer break.

The characters in The Celeb Next Door are brilliant, especially Rosie, who I really grew to like. They form a great team and I'm looking forward to seeing what they get up to in the next book in the series, Stuck on Me. Sky and Vix are great supporting characters and I definitely think readers will see a bit of themselves in at least one of the girls.

The Celeb Next Door manages to discuss some difficult issues, like body image, without ever sounding preachy and that's something I really liked about Freeman's writing. I wish this series had been around when I was a teen as I know I would have adored it.

The cover design is really pretty as well, containing all the cute motifs and sparkles you'd expect from a book aimed towards this age range. I'm pleased to see they've continued the cover theme for the next installment in the series, which looks equally gorgeous.

Sadly Stuck on You isn't due out until 2012 so we do still have a few more months to read but I'd definitely recommend reading The Celeb Next Door to get in the mood, especially if you're a Camden fan!

First line: 'I can't believe I'm here.'

Read if you liked…: Cherry Crush - Cathy Cassidy

Rating:
Plot: 3/5
Writing: 3/5
Characters: 4/5
Cover: 4/5
Total: 14/20 (B)

1 comment:

  1. ooo I may have to pick this one up, it sounds great! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you kindly for the comment, you sweet thing.