Tuesday, 2 August 2011

Review: Love You, Hate You, Miss You - Elizabeth Scott

Published: June 1st 2009, HarperTeen
Pages: 276 pages, paperback
Series/standalone?: Standalone
Acquired: Purchased myself

Summary (from Goodreads): Get this, I'm supposed to be starting a journal about "my journey." Please. I can see it now: Dear Diary, As I'm set adrift on this crazy sea called "life" . . . I don't think so.

It's been seventy-five days. Amy's sick of her parents suddenly taking an interest in her.

And she's really sick of people asking her about Julia. Julia's gone now, and she doesn't want to talk about it. They wouldn't get it, anyway. They wouldn't understand what it feels like to have your best friend ripped away from you.

They wouldn't understand what it feels like to know it's your fault.

Amy's shrink thinks it would help to start a diary. Instead, Amy starts writing letters to Julia.

But as she writes letter after letter, she begins to realize that the past wasn't as perfect as she thought it was—and the present deserves a chance too.

My review: Love You, Hate You, Miss You was my first foray into the world of Elizabeth Scott! It took me a while but, as we all know, I tend you behind the times when it comes to YA trends. I have a bunch of Elizabeth Scott's books on my shelves and after reading this one I'm really keen to try more - Perfect You is next up on my list.

Love You, Hate You, Miss You is a great book, really readable and accessible to a huge range of YA readers, I'm sure. It does get a little gritty in places but nothing too shocking so I would recommend this one to younger teens as well, though do exercise caution because, as I said, things do get a little gritty in places. It is relatively short and I soared through it in one sitting; this one isn't going to blow your mind but it's definitely a solid YA book and is certainly worth a read.

Love You, Hate You, Miss You reminded me a lot of Cracked Up to Be by Courtney Summers, a book I read earlier this year and absolutely adored. Amy had definitely echoes of Parker, she was just a lot less bitchy. However, I do happen to like a bitch so Amy was a bit too soft for me. If I was in her situation I'm sure I'd be a lot more angsty and angry but she wasn't wholly unlikable, I just wish Scott had taken her character a little further.

Julia is a great character - though we never officially meet her as she died before the book was set we do see her in flashbacks and her presence is felt throughout the present story. I mentioned that Amy was a bit too soft for me - Julia completely makes up for this and then some, especially when you learn more about her as the story develops.

The supporting characters in Love You, Hate You, Miss You definitely make this book so enjoyable. Mel is great, I only wish he'd been given a little more page time. Patrick, although swoonworthy, did remain a little too much of a mystery for me and I would have liked to have seen a bit more of his personality - I get that he was supposed to be aloof and mysterious, it was just hard to bond with somebody I knew so, so little about.

So my first taste of Elizabeth Scott's writing has definitely left me wanting more. I can't wait to get started on more of her books and, based on how much I enjoyed this one, I think I can now be counted as an Elizabeth Scott convert. Hooray!

First line: 'Dear Julia, get this, I'm supposed to be starting a journal about "my journey".'

Read if you liked…: Cracked Up to Be - Courtney Summers

Rating:
Plot: 3/5
Writing: 4/5
Characters: 3/5
Cover: 4/5
Total: 14/20 (B)

5 comments:

  1. ooo I really need to venture into some Elizabeth Scott myself, I might have to take the plunge as well and get this one! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review Carly. I am re-shuffling AGAIN lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just finished it & it was amazing! I love this book! This book is awesome and worth to read! It's about grief and about choices, too. It's a good storyline and the lesson learned is fantastic. Everyone makes their own choices and must deal with the consequences of each decision.

    ReplyDelete
  4. im reading this book and i very much enjoy it im 15 and im still not sure how the friend julia died yet. but ill get there sooner or later hehe(;

    ReplyDelete
  5. This post is really informative to all kind of people. I am very happy to see the post. I will request you to give more information about this. I have gotten many knowladable speech form here. I have also website where you can get some knowledge which may be for your welfare. Visit here…..
    miss you

    ReplyDelete

Thank you kindly for the comment, you sweet thing.