Saturday, 6 August 2011

Writing: On Inspiration

I go to great lengths to procrastinate when I’m supposed to be writing.

Ironic, isn’t it? I complain that I just want time to write but when I get it it’s so tempting to curl up in bed and browse Memebase instead (if you haven’t been on Memebase before I urge you, don’t Google it, you will lose years of your life).

Anyway, after reaching 20k in my latest work in progress (the summer camp YA, I love it, love it, love it) I treated myself so I bit of browsing time. I ended up, as I so often do, on Youtube and began to wade my way through the videos that had been recommended for me. All of you should definitely go and watch ‘static dog’, for it is awesome.

I was watching ’50 Internet Memes in 100 seconds’ when it happened. A brief glimpse of a scene from Brokeback Mountain with a song playing over it. A haunting, beautiful song that I had many times before but never actually paid much attention to. It grabbed me instantly and I knew I had to have it on one of my many writing playlists, probably the one entitled ‘Writing – Emo’, which is definitely my favourite.

After a frantic scroll through pages and pages of Brokeback Mountain fan videos I found it. Phew. The song is ‘This Love’ by Sarah Brightman and it is stunning. I do like a bit of Brokeback Mountain so decided to stay tuned for the whole video. Of course, I was in tears by the end. There’s just something about the story I love so much and it always brings out a ridiculous amount of emotion in me, which was perfect for the scene I was planning on writing next.

I suppose I’m a bit of a method writer, if you can call it that. If I get in from a night out I’ll frequently slam my laptop onto my desk, crank up the Ke$ha and write a party scene. Those scenes usually require a fair amount of editing the next day but the voice is usually pretty accurate.

If I’m writing an emotional scene I absolutely need to be in the right frame of mind, have the right music playing, have watched the right ‘Top 10 Romantic Moments’ video on Youtube.
Though the subject matter in my work in progress is much lighter than Brokeback Mountain (there aren’t many ways to make a contemporary YA about two girls working in a summer camp very dark) the forbidden love aspect definitely reminded me of what I wanted to do with two of my characters.

So I watched the aforementioned fan video twice through, had a little cry about Heath Ledger and promptly purchased ‘This Love’ from iTunes. I’m sitting here now with my notebook next to me, itching to write the scene that, until I heard a snippet of that song, I had no idea I was going to write.

Perfect.

1 comment:

  1. I really love this post. I'd love to hear more about your writing habits or music or inspirations :) Also? I love the sound of a summer camp novel.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you kindly for the comment, you sweet thing.