Friday, 30 September 2011

Review: Blood on My Hands - Todd Strasser

Published: April 4th 2011, Walker
Pages: 301 pages, paperback
Series/standalone?: Series, this is book two. Book one (Wish You Were Dead) is out now
Acquired: Kindly sent for review by the publisher

Summary (from Goodreads): A powerful and uncompromising thriller – not for the faint-hearted.

Some girls are glamorous, beautiful … and deadly. Found kneeling by a dead body, with a bloody knife in her hand can only mean Callie Carson is guilty of the brutal murder of Katherine Remington – can’t it? Joining the in-crowd is tough; leaving is a killer.

My review: Blood on My Hands is the first one of Todd Strasser's novels that I've ever read and I'm now a fully converted fan. I'll definitely be checking out more of his work in the future because I enjoyed Blood on My Hands so much. It's such a fast paced, exciting book and I read it in a single afternoon, feeling absolutely exhilirated from beginning to end.

I love that Strasser drops us in right in the middle of the action so there's no slow scene setting here. The pace doesn't dip at any point, it's go go go right from page one and I really enjoyed that. I really appreciated the fact that Strasser used tension to scare us and make the story so jumpy, rather than gratuitous gore, which was barely present at all.

The murder mystery element of Blood on My Hands was so much fun and I really loved trying to figure out who the murderer was - of course, I was wrong. Although with this book I think most readers would find it hard to work out who the murderer was and the reveal really was shocking. Do not be tempted to skip to the end - don't ruin things for yourself!

I actually had no idea that this was the second book in a trilogy until after I'd finished reading Blood on My Hands and I think it worked perfectly as a standalone - though now I really want to check out Wish You Were Dead, simply because I enjoyed this one so much. I'd be interested to see what those of you thought who'd already read book one, so do let me know in the comments.

First line: 'In the dark woods behind the baseball dugout, I'm kneeling next to Katherine's body, my heart racing, my breaths shallow and fast, my emotions reeling crazily at the sight on the ground before me.'

Read if you liked…: Rosebush - Michele Jaffe

Rating:
Plot: 4/5
Writing: 4/5
Characters: 4/5
Cover: 3/5
Total: 15/20 (B)

3 comments:

  1. oh! This sounds really good! I might have to check it out! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love the book but is here a film?

    ReplyDelete
  3. This book is one of the best books I've ever read. From the beggining till the end I loved it. When i first saw it in whsmiths that was the only book i wanted and me and my friend kept reading the blurb and wondering if it was going to be good. I cant beleve at the end I found out that slade was the real killer and that he has sex with dacota and that katherine was a lesbian, i have watched the trailer for it and to be honest I didnt really like it. I cant wait to read the other book!! In the other book is it the same characters and does callie found out that something horrible has happend again?!?!?!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you kindly for the comment, you sweet thing.