Tuesday, 27 September 2011

Review: Divergent - Veronica Roth

Published: May 3rd 2011, HarperCollins
Pages: 487 pages, ARC
Series?: Yes, this is book one. Book two (Insurgent) is due out in April 2012
Acquired: Gifted by the lovely Jesse over at Books 4 Teens

Summary (from Goodreads): Beatrice "Tris" Prior has reached the fateful age of sixteen, the stage at which teenagers in Veronica Roth's dystopian Chicago must select which of five factions to join for life. Each faction represents a virtue: Candor, Abnegation, Dauntless, Amity, and Erudite. To the surprise of herself and her selfless Abnegation family, she chooses Dauntless, the path of courage.

Her choice exposes her to the demanding, violent initiation rites of this group, but it also threatens to expose a personal secret that could place in mortal danger. Veronica Roth's young adult Divergent trilogy launches with a captivating adventure about love and loyalty playing out under most extreme circumstances.

My review: So I was a little late with reading Divergent, as I seem to be the last person in the blogosphere to read it. However, I raced through this one in a couple of hours and absolutely adored every single page of it. I've said before that I'm starting to get a little tired of dystopia but Divergent is such a fresh take on the genre and I feel my enthusiasm for all things dystopia completely renewed. Yay for Veronica Roth!

The narrative voice in Divergent is fantastic. I absolutely bonded with Tris from the outset and I love how human Roth made her. She's flawed and unsure of herself and completely whole. Brilliant. She goes on such a journey as the story progresses and it's wonderful to see how she changes from a shy, withdrawn girl to the witty, brave character we see at the end of the novel. She goes through so much to make her who she is at the close of Divergent and it's wonderful to see how every single one of those events has an impact on her personality.

The supporting characters in Divergent are just as great as Tris, from her best friends Christina and Will to her cruel enemies, Peter, Molly and Drew. Her two instructors, Eric and Four, were both great but for very different reasons. I try not to go for the whole 'ohhh isn't he dreamy?' thing but Four was pretty hot, mostly because of his flaws. Nothing more attractive than a troubled, tattooed bad boy, is there? No, siree. Eric is so much more than your run of the mill psychopath and he reminded me a little of Drake from the Gone series.

Divergent is such an exciting novel. It made me heart race as I flicked through the pages, especially towards the end of the novel. I really thought we'd reached the end of the story at a relatively calm point - only to be plunged back into another fifty pages of drama. Brutal stuff. Plus, the story ends quite abruptly so I found myself seriously frustrated when I realised I'd hit the end and have over six months to wait until book two. Not impressed!

I really am a huge fan of this book and I urge any of you who haven't picked it up yet to give it a go - it's such an infectious story and I'm already counting down the days until Insurgent is released!

First line: 'There is one mirror in my house.'

Read if you liked…: Delirium - Lauren Oliver

Rating:
Plot: 5/5
Writing: 4/5
Characters: 5/5
Cover: 4/5
Total: 18/20 (A)

3 comments:

  1. I am reeling over the fact that you raced through it in a couple of hours! I must learn to read faster.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh this book is fantastic, but man do I hate cliffhanger endings like that one. Absolutely DYING to read Insurgent. (And REALLY, isn't Four DREAMY?!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was majorly pissed when I hit the end and realised that I had to wait ages for the next story too but, man, it'll be worth it! :D x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you kindly for the comment, you sweet thing.